Burnt Sugar

Suzette

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes... although we used to use Cola Concentrate ourselves. It is a little more pricey, as it isn't such a concentrated colour as Burnt Sugar (at least the one we had anyway).

Also we had trouble with an actor getting migraines once the show opened. Eventually we discovered that as caffeine was a trigger for his migraines and he hadn't drunk it for years. The small amount in the cola concentrate was apparently enough to set it off again (although he was guzzling a lot of cola concentrate 'ale'). Also, other actors have complained about the sugary aftertaste drying out their mouths onstage - a problem you don't get with burnt sugar. Ah well, as Suzette said, they do find things to moan about sometimes!

On the other hand, I have recently heard rumours that Burnt Sugar is a carcinogen; has anyone else heard this and do you have any idea if it's true? I imagine if it is it'd have to be in quite large quantities.

Burnt sugar? I've always used Diet Cola Sodastream concentrate, diluted according to what colour you need. Exactly the same effect. You can get it from large supermarkets and hardware stores like Robert Dyas. You can also use diluted Diet Cola iteslf.Never again do you need to find burnt sugar... never again, I say!

Gravy browning is not the pleasantest substance but you use such small amount (as it is browning, not actual gravy granules) for most drinks it should just taste a little salty. It comes in small bottles and is very concentrated. I still am a bigger fan of dilute diet cola, though. Unless you don't really like the actor in question...

• 3 weeks later...

Burnt Sugar is a bit dodgy to use as it is used by chemists to culture bacteria. I would not recommend that you use it. A better (and more hygienic alternative) is Coca Cola Soda Stream refills. They are cheaper and can be found in ASDA or Tesco's for a few quid.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
Possibly, but there's a much smaller amount of caffeine in normal strength cola than in tea, and even less once it's watered down to represent wine or whiskey. You could always use watered down caffeine free cola - available from Holland and Barratt. At the end of the day I think the performer has to pick their poison. I would certainly have my doubts about burnt sugar - I seem to remember it's a carcinogen.

Guest lightnix
...burnt sugar - I seem to remember it's a carcinogen.
You may be right, I think another name for burnt sugar is Caramel, which I believe has been noted for it's carcinogenic qualities. Doesn't stop them stuffing it into all sorts of food though :angry:

How about red, yellow and green food colouring mixed into flat lemonade ? Just a thought ricocheting off the inside of my skull :(

• 1 year later...
Hello, you can buy burnt sugar solution from J.M. Loveridge plc in Southampton. They sell it in 500ml or 5L plastic containers and your main contact would be Mandy Whitfield, Roger Mitchell or anyone else in the Sales department. They take credit card payments over the phone or can accept a cheque payment. Their telephone is 02380 222008 and their web site is www.jmloveridge.com

Archived