Burnt Sugar

Suzette

Just wondering if anyone knows where you can buy burnt sugar from .... as used for colouring water to make whisky, tea, and other such brown coloured drinks for the stage.

Yes I know I can use cold tea but it doesn't taste that nice, whereas burnt sugar tastes of nothing.

I have tried people like Flints (prop makers suppliers), Charles Fox (make-up an dother such stuff) and Boots the Chemists (as they used to use it for colouring medicines - don't know if they still do...) but so far no luck....

Can anyone help?

NB London area is best

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you not make a type of burnt sugar yourself - in the same way that you would make toffee etc at home. All you need is some sugar, a saucepan, a LOW heat and patience. Maybe some practice too.

Alternatively, why not try using maple syrup or treacle dissolved in hot water, then allow to cool :-)

Have tried local independent pharmacy but still no luck - but I will try another ..... I wonder if a big drug company like GlaxoSmithCline use it???

Thanks to Barney, but don't really have the time to make my own... just wanted to buy a bottle of the stuff to make life easy!

Guest lightnix

Isn't caramel just a form of carefully burnt sugar ? As Barney says, you could do it yourself, although a slightly less messy way might be to dissolve the sugar in water and boil it down to a thick, brown syrup.

PS if you get bored with waiting, stir in a tablespoon of bicarb for some nice "Crunchie" type honeycomb :blink:

PPS Maybe you could put the sugar in the cold tea.

• 2 weeks later...

Try J.M Loveridge plc (Southampton) Tel: 023 8022 8411 for burnt sugar. They currently provide our theatre quite well!

I agree that cold tea doesn't taste nice... also it tends to go a little cloudy and doesn't have quite the same tone as burnt sugar. Apple juice is ok but a bit too expensive!

Jen

I agree that cold tea doesn't taste nice... also it tends to go a little cloudy and doesn't have quite the same tone as burnt sugar.

I think it's a generational thing - A few years back I used a burnt sugar concoction for whisky for some "senior" actors, who then wanted to know why we had to go and change things, and why they couldn't just have cold tea like they did in the old days. No pleasing some people!

My dad's a pharmacist - if I think on, I'll ask him about burnt sugar next time I see him.

And let's have less of this talk about Boots (<spit!>) - support your independent community pharmacy, not some faceless nationwide chainstore!!! :D

Guest lightnix
And let's have less of this talk about Boots (<spit!>) - support your independent community pharmacy, not some faceless nationwide chainstore!!!† :unsure:

Absolutely! Well said that man and let's not stop at the pharmacists, we do as much of our shopping as possible from local butchers, bakers, etc.

But I digress...

How about Sarsaparilla (if you can still get it)? It's a brown-coloured, fruit cordial drink, that I was introduced to by some West Indian friends back in the 80s. You used to be able to get it in little shops in SE London, but I don't know who made it.

Anyway, it's very nice :D

Archived