Architectural lighting with a £700 budget

five_pin_xlr

DMX is not distributed on IECs. Intelligent fixtures require power and a control signal. The power is probably on IECs, yes, but the DMX will be on 3/5 pin XLRs.

Which could be via a betapack or similar...so could appear as being connected simply by IEC...

LEDs are best if heat is a problem but simple PARcans create some very effective and sexy looks when used as truss warmers.

I agree though - maybe its worth getting someone in to get a professional opinion. It's hard for us to give you ideas without seeing the venue!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DMX is not distributed on IECs. Intelligent fixtures require power and a control signal. The power is probably on IECs, yes, but the DMX will be on 3/5 pin XLRs.

Which could be via a betapack or similar...so could appear as being connected simply by IEC...

Which really wouldn't be a good idea, considering they are intelligent fixtures and so shouldn't be dimmed. If the OP doesn't even know/understand the equipment already in place in the venue then how can he hope to specify anything appropriate?

Note from the moderators : this member has deleted/edited several of his posts in a fit of pique. Apologies if it makes the thread harder to follow - we've reinstated what we can, but the newer ones hadn't been cached so there's nothing we can do about them.

I know the difference from control cables DMX etc.. But I'm remembering what I was told when I first saw the venue over a year ago.

I asked the same question, "SO wheres the dimmers!!" and he said there is not any, because if there was, then I would of used them in that show as well.

the lights in place can be controlled via the behringer.

I think I speak for us all when I say I'm a little confused....

what lights are controlled by the beringer? obviously not any generics. moving heads? scanners?

oh and I also like the look of LED parcans, in theory zero maintenance. which wins hands down in my book when it comes to architectural lighting! won't be that easy to setup with the current desk, but think of it as a learning experience :unsure:

So in summary:

Do a Site Survey!

1) Go to the venue.

2) Draw a plan of the place.

3) Measure everything, and write the lengths down on the plan.

You'll need a ladder and a friend.

Don't forget ceiling height, and where it dips up and down. I've worked on more than one event where the ceiling height measurement didn't take things like ceiling roses and beams into account. One of them we ended up having to cut 200mm off the Shoplite trussing to get the set in!

4) Note on the plan where all power supplies are located, and what kind of power supply they are (13A, 16A ceeform, 32A ceeform, 32A-3phase ceeform etc)

5) Create an inventory of every bit of lighting kit (lights, dimmers, desks etc) they have, and how it is currently connected - power, data and any other signals.

Expect to take all day.

Once you've done the survey, you'll be in a position to make sensible decisions and ask meaningful questions.

Guest lightnix

:unsure: - Off topic and increasingly snippy posts hidden, following complaints from members and pending discussion by moderators. Sorry if it interrupts the flow, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

five_pin_xlr, please click here.

Everybody else, please click here.

Thank You :huh:

Earlier on somebody asked a question about the LED Pars. With no DMX input, they can be set to a range of solid colours, or left to cycle through them at various speeds, or be set to respond as sound to light - if the system is intended to be set and forget - then they will do the trick. The benefits of no heat, no lamp costs, low power consumption outweigh the issue of lower light output from a 300W 'real' lamp. If the idea is for toning truss, tinting walls, tables etc then I'd think they would be ideal.

Which really wouldn't be a good idea, considering they are intelligent fixtures and so shouldn't be dimmed.

Are they? :)

It would be good if the OP could specify this because so far he hasnt said what they are...but as a guess I would say they arent otherwise he would have specified...you could put an intelligent fixture onto a betapack and yes you are right that wouldnt be clever...but from what we have heard so far ;)

In short there have to be dimmers somewhere!

Back to the topic a little more - LEDs would be sensible as they dont require dimmers. But I would strongly recommend that you get professional help with this asking someone to come and look at your venue. Where are you based?

Edit: ok just checked your profile and I am not really familiar with Surrey - maybe have a look about for someone to give you a profssional quote

Ok they have 1 dimmer, its some really old wired one, which I'm not guna touch with a barge pole.

I am going to get a plan drawn up when I can and go on from there, any more trouble or ideas I need ill come back.

thanks to everyone

alex

Ok, site plan is drawn up.

I'm opting for the Thomann Par56 Cans LEDS. approx £50 each.

Does anyone know how these are connected is it like pulsar and they use their own connectors or will DMX cable work.

Also anyone have anyidea if its IEC to power it?

I'm planning on lighting the truss verticals with 8 LEDS, that gives us a few £100 to buy clamps and cabling, and hire some scaffolding in.

thanks

alex

Does anyone know how these are connected is it like pulsar and they use their own connectors or will DMX cable work.

Also anyone have anyidea if its IEC to power it?

They have a male and female 3-pin XLR so you can loop the DMX from one to the next. Mains is on a flying lead which comes as standard with a euro plug on it, so plan on removing those and getting a competent person to fit whatever connector you want.

....................Mains is on a flying lead which comes as standard with a euro plug on it, so plan on removing those and getting a competent person to fit whatever connector you want.

Connect them to "ordinary" mains; not a dimmer.

Archived