White Powder/Dust

paci5217

Hey guys, I am a student at UNC and am working for a TV company this summer. We are doing a 9/11 twin towers recreation and need to find a drywall-type powder that completely covers our actors. If you've seen any 9/11 images of people running from the building, you will know what it looks like! Obviously it needs to be nontoxic, yet stick to the actors for several hours. Any suggestions? I heard about Talcum Powder, but I read it can cause cancer. Also, it would be good to have a "thicker" powder, so the fine dust particles don't hurt the camera. Thanks!

modern talc is asbestos free, and the new worries relate to females getting the powder in through parts that wouldn't normally be on show! It's still on sale, so I'm reasonably sure the heath worries are ok. It's pretty horrible stuff, though. Clogs video heads, and gets everywhere - that would worry me more!

Plaster should be fine enough to dust but coarse enough to control.

I'd be very careful about using plaster. The coshh data sheet says avoid prolonged skin contact and wet contact. I'll think about it for a while and see if I can think of an alternative, but I'm sure there must be a stage makeup type powder or something similar.

Flour?

You can get unbleached flour which is less bright white, if that's better for you.

I think you can also get different grades of flour, so you could get some less fine stuff which is less likely to mess up video equipment.

Health risks, minimal / negligent?

Health risks, minimal / negligent?

I thought that was a good idea too, but a quick :) found:

Flour dust is one of the top eight asthmagens, and is classed as a hazardous substance (respiratory) under the COSHH Regulations 1999 (soon to be replaced by COSHH 2002). In May 2001, a Maximum Exposure Limit (MEL) for flour dust of 10 mg/m-3 averaged over an eight-hour period, and a Short Term Exposure Limit (STEL) of 30 mg/m-3 averaged over 15 minutes came into force.

From HSE Toxic Substances Bulletin

Having read that, It suggests it's probably okay if you prevent it from becoming airborne.

I agree. I think if applied with care and a suitably course variety is used it will create the desired effect and reduce the risk.

The problem may come after a few hours when the actors start to sweat. Re-application may cause continuity problems but that's all part of the fun of film work.

Now why was I attracted to a post about "White Powder"?????????

Strange that, but for my twopenn'orth, I'd say flour would be favourite. I'd stay away from plaster, getting it on me really flares up psoriasis on my elbows and arms, and I know several other guys who have the same problems too (sparkies). Really irritating for days afterwards!!!!!!!

Plaster, along with many other powders is hygroscopic and will dry out skin and eyes horribly. As has been mentioned flour, and many other unexpected powders, are explosive, and it is NOT difficult to replicate those circumstances. Flour mills used to catch fire and blow up quite a lot.

Archived