Class D Speaker. Anyone used them?

tekhieboy

Hi all, any one have any experience of Class D speakers, just looking on eBay and came across these monitors that are only £140 a pair delivered.

I could do with some cheap ones for a church band (that are actually very loud) but I'd rather they didn't fall apart within a couple of days.

Cheers for your help

Tek

PS this is their website Class-D

For a firm that has a somewhat misleading name (seeing that Class D would evoke thoughts of efficient switching amplifiers in many people's minds) these units appear rather underwhelming.

The usual advice applies:

"You get what you pay for"

"Caveat Emptor"

In this case, the concept of "costly middle men" has largely been superseded by "online retailers willing to slit the throat of the competition to make a sale".

As our American friends might say, "go figure" ;-)

Simon

Don't know about the product, but I found the advert mildly amusing. In particular, the bit that said

(our 70-quid-each monitors are..) considered by us and professional uses to be as good if not superior to all other makes.
(so watch this space for news of D&B, Nexo and the rest going out of business.... )

and

It is a PASSIVE not an active unit. That means you will require to drive it off some sort of amplification. Many modern amps have the facility on them.
So don't be using one of those old-fashioned amplifiers that don't have the facility to amplify....

As I said above, I'm not commenting on the units. I'm just having a bit of a giggle at the advert....

Is there not some sort of legislation against having misleading trading names? Or did I dream that one up? hmmm

So don't be using one of those old-fashioned amplifiers that don't have the facility to amplify....

:)

Also - don't those units look a bit like a Behringer Wedge?

You will get class D sound. Maybe if you get a good deal on a super old system that back in the days was used for professional use you might get a closer answer about if it sound's good, but cheap speakers use cheap components and with cheap technology. Would you expect great sound out of it?

I use them. They're OK, but you do get what you pay for. They have no specs available, and the bass bins I own have been rated at anywhere between 350w and 500w rms depending upon where you look.

The "350w" tops I have (running off a 360w amp) can sound quieter than my custom built wedges (Eminence beta 12" 150w) running at 105w... I have no idea what the SPLs are on any of these speakers, but I can only assume the Class D are not too efficient.

The bin+top combination, run at 1600w (460 to each bin, 360 to the tops) sounds quite clear, but is no comparable to the professional makes, which go deeper and louder.

I run class D speakers. I'm no sound tech guy or anything. But for a five piece band we use 2 pairs of tops and a pair of 15inch bins totaling 1700rms. If u put them through an rta it pulls out a few floors. but considering I only pair £450 for the whole lots I think they fill a gap in the market. For people who arnt too fussed about having expensive kit. They certainly pitch above some of the crap thats on Ebay, £180 for a pair of 300watt PEAK bins is what I call crap. Good guys down there, and fantastic after sales service. Been running them for a year now.

Let me know how good they are if you do get the monitors, because we're having a few problems with some wharfdales.

If u put them through an rta it pulls out a few floors.

Does this mean

a) If one were to investigate these loudspeakers with a real time analyser, the frequency response is far from flat,

or,

b) The combination of loudspeakers and RTA is capable of causing serious structural damage to properties?

Just curious ;-)

If u put them through an rta it pulls out a few floors.

Does this mean

a) If one were to investigate these loudspeakers with a real time analyser, the frequency response is far from flat,

or,

b) The combination of loudspeakers and RTA is capable of causing serious structural damage to properties?

Just curious ;-)

Now I'm curious, are u looking for something to cause damage to properties???

I meant the response isnt very flat, but not having anything to compare its analysis with I dont know it all speakers have their poor frequencys. And on the same note, I have only ever used the rta in two different venues. Each one giving me different readings.

p.s. I'm using a recently bought Behringer DEQ2496 to measure and adjust.

Now I'm curious, are u looking for something to cause damage to properties???

No - just a little tongue in cheek dig at your spelling ;-)

I meant the response isn't very flat

Which might well be expected. If you search this site for 'RTA' and 'Smaart' you should find some good material on loudspeaker measurement.

Archived