Square keys

bruce

Why would anyone want to get into a coffin or to get out of a coffin :) :)

Erm, most likely it's the guys on the OUTSIDE locking the coffin - maybe so the persons INSIDE can't get out .....!

:D :D :D :D :D

Isn’t it quite bad that the general public have access to these keys quite easily? I mean one (on south west trains) you can access the door controls in every carriage (but I guess these are probably under master control by the driver). You can access the guards office type thing where they keep there stuff… and you could probably access loads of other stuff on the trains. Surely this is quite serious? I know if you really wanted to you could make these keys but to have them so easily available is a bit stupid isn’t it or am I missing something obvious?

When fitting such latches, the installer has made a risk assessment and decided that simplicty is enough to deter the local yobs who, in passing might press a random button as they walk past. When a little more security is required, a key can be incorporated at extra cost - every traffic controller cabinet in the UK has the same key and everyone who has ever needed access likely has one! The most secure and most expensive option is the restricted profile - preventing unauthorised temporary key holders from getting a copy made.

One interesting area is that of plant such as tractors and diggers - they use a standard (Lucas) key (but a small flat screwdriver will operate most). Last time I looked, busses and coaches also used Lucas keys!

Flints also sell the "forged steel T key" at £2.03 - as listed in the 2002 catalogue...... cannot find on their website though! (Has anyone got a copy of the new Flints catalogue yet???)

Why would anyone want to get into a coffin or to get out of a coffin :o <_<

Erm, most likely it's the guys on the OUTSIDE locking the coffin - maybe so the persons INSIDE can't get out .....!

:D :D :D :D :D

:off: Don't they usually nail the coffin, but I suppose they give the occupant a key just in case he gets the call of nature.

From Memory, the budget key gets you into the various bits of the carriage, but with door controls you still need a specific key to unlock them. The keys for the S+T (Signal and Telecomunication) cabinets, access points etc etc etc all had mass produced locks- 'BR Number 1' 'Red Keys' etc. I nearly got a copy of most of them when I was there but didn't quite happen.

As mentioned with Plant, most cherry pickers have exactly the same key. And most E Stops.......

Archived