MD + microphone

Leon

Hi, Newbie here.

I am currently involved in a project (of my own) recording traditional folk songs that have been passed on aurally, and transcribing them to musical notation.

Recently bought a new Net MD - Sony MZ-N510 and ECM 880 Electret condenser microphone (Recommended by Sony for this application). This combination will only record at a very low level even with record level turned all the way up, barely audible on headphones. This is new technology to me - any thoughts as to why its not working? PS Battery levels & contacts are fine. Have tried to get support from Sony without success.

From What I remember, the 510 does not have a MIC INPUT socket (it will be RED).

See: Sony Spec

I expect that the only sockets will be Line (optical and Digital) In and Headphones.

I am surprised that Sony recommended this to you, as unless you put it through a mixer of some kind then it WILL sound very quiet.

I had a similar 'problem' before, and so invested in the 710, which is very nice, and I have no problems with it. I am currently waiting for my ECM-MS907 microphone, which I have used at school with great success.

Where did you get this 'recommendation'? I would suggest a visit to ask a few questions...

David

hmm, don't know about the 510 but I do have a MZ-N707

the 707 does have a mic input as well as a line input - mic = red, line = grey

also I am under the impression that you can change the recording level IIRC you use the track skip buttons while recording

don't know how much, if any, of the above applies to the 510 but hope it helps

Leon - take it back to them and complain / ask for your money back or better still an upgrade to the right kit.

Sale of Goods Act 1979:

Goods must be... fit for their purpose.

If not the retailer is legally obliged to remedy the problem.

I would recommend the mzn707 also, as I have one too, and it is needless to saya very very excellent recorder for small-ish types of recording, such as choirs, and school performances etc...

David you got it in one, thanks. 510 only has line in.

I still have no idea why I thought it would be the same as the 707

I would recommend the mzn707 also, as I have one too, and it is needless to saya very very excellent recorder for small-ish types of recording, such as choirs, and school performances etc...

To be honest I have never used mine for recording; it tends to get used more for listening to stuff I have recorded at work. It does however seem to have many useful features.

Archived