DMX gadgets - what would you want them to do?

roryfm

I'm a about to go into the third year of my Electrical and Electronics Degree and am looking for a final project. The idea I have hit upon is to develop a series of gizmos that can be attached to a central hub which is then addressable and controlled by DMX.

My plan would be to have one unit that can be attached to DMX, and have plug-in type modules that will output either a step voltage (low or high), or a variable voltage output, or something else - so depending on what you want to control you just connect the right module (think thunderbirds...)

The first thing that sprung to mind was projector shutter control, and while I know that they already exist but theres a price tag attached. Other ideas I've had would be gobo rotator, iris... but then I run out of steam.

What I'm looking for is what sort of devices people would like to be able to control by DMX - and also if anyone knows of any similar products that already exist to ensure I'm not re-inventing the wheel. Thanks a lot

ror

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't knock the kettle idea - the worlds first webcam was so that some guys at cambridge university could save themselves the walk to the only coffee pot in the 7 storey building only to find it empty...

will think on this one....

have thought -

low voltage relay card - or using solid state switching for use with 'contact closure' type devices (footpedals / simple video switchers etc) - most of these only use a few ma at 12v - so physical relay bit OTT

strange as it may seem - rs232 adapter - for the devices that have an rs232 control port - quite a few bits of kit can be controlled by just 2 bytes of data.

Hi,

How about DMX-able:

- door bells

- solenoids (for drops and doors and a million other panto effects)

- glitter ball motors

- sound operators

- motorised shutters for projectors

- beer taps (daisy chained to bar-maid)

- fire alarms (only for use during amature musicals)

- motorised projection screens

I'll stop there before I get carried away will the power of a GO button!

solid state audio playback for things like dressing room calls / FOH announcements - I hate doing that ' Ladies and Gentleman, tonights performance will ...' thing

second the beer taps thing!! ( spirit optic solenoid too....)

Some sort of DMX controlled, IR transmitter would be good - for triggering video players, CD, TVs etc etc.

It would be some sort of device that you could prerecord functions into - IE: you press a record button, point a remote at it and press the button or sequence of buttons you want recorded and it stores them. These memories could them be triggered by the DMX.

Worth a thought?

Let us know how you get on and what you decide

apart from that, I like the kettle idea - there is already a DMX coffee machine so why not a kettle too?

Some sort of DMX controlled, IR transmitter would be good - for triggering video players, CD, TVs etc etc.

It would be some sort of device that you could prerecord functions into - IE: you press a record button, point a remote at it and press the button or sequence of buttons you want recorded and it stores them. These memories could them be triggered by the DMX.

I whole heartedly second that idea. Especially if the components to build it cost less than AU$35. It would be great to be able to put one on the projectors, one on each video source etc.

cue lights? not much use for them always I agree, but could be used to indicate that a particular scene has been reached, more use for amdram than pro I would imagine!

DMX bell? to let FOH know its nearly interval time?

I whole heartedly second that idea. Especially if the components to build it cost less than AU$35. It would be great to be able to put one on the projectors, one on each video source etc.

Or if it had a basic "fade to black" for video signals.

I'd wondered about DMX over ZigBee (or similar) -- so you could have low power mesh wireless network. -- with the advantages over existing wireless DMX that you could check if all your nodes were receiving/their status and extend the range by just adding an extra device to forward the data on.

I like the DMX iris idea- maybe you could use it on a row of profiles, and have the irises all doing funky things?

Or in a "who wants to be a millionaire" type of thing, where the profiles all suddenly spot down to something?

** laughs out loud **, too much thinking... must sleep

David

Thanks for all your ideas folks - the project has been accepted by the faculty so I will be trying to make it now.

The concept has been refined somewhat and now stands at a 4 channel DMX hub (so you can run up to 4 devices from the one input) which can receive data either by standard DMX or by a wireless link (ie DMX into transmitter, place receiver where you need it [on bar with projector] send signal)

Users can then buy whatever devices they need to run, such as relays, shutters, irises (kettles...?) as opposed to having to spend money on a DMX interpretter in every device. I hope this means costs will be kept down so you may see one soon.

Thanks again for suggestions, and keep them coming in - I'm not supposed to start on the project til Sept.

Cheers

Ror

• 10 months later...

I realise I'm a bit late on this but did anyone think of DMX oven?

put a pizza in before a show program in a cue around the 20 min mark of the show ending and Hey Presto one pizza right at the end just before the turn around wonderful!

could have used a DMX clock in my last show to make it spin or to stop at a certain time etc etc could be good for panto as well I geuss

Archived