Ideal Features on a Lighting Desk

Ben

Ok question for all the board ops out there:

If you could have any features you wanted on your control desk what would you want to make your job quicker and easier?? (real things please)

Please do give details of what the feature would do and why you would want it (if thats not already obvious)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like the possibility to put channels on into some kind of a group, (for rig checking etc)

The operation would be something like:

[1] [@] [A] [ON] [*]

[2] [@] [ON] [*]

[A] [@] [0] [*]

This would mean that if you have two people focusing or working then you can split the channels as you put them up into two groups, or one group for plotting and another for focussing or working..

You could also type maybe

[record] [A] [Cue] [1] [*]

and

[update] [A] [Cue] [1] [*]

which would be great...

OK, so it may be a while but:

Instead of just sending data from the desk to the dimmers etc, why can't we get a flow of information the other way? So if a trip went on a dimmer channel that information could pop up straight away on the desk and you could get someone to sort it before a vital cue. Also "intelligent" lighting (sorry, don't feel able to use that expression without the ""s!) could send error messages back to be displayed on the board. That way the board op would know everything that was going on with his kit.

why can't we get a flow of information the other way

You can, it's called RDM and is an extension of DMX. Needs RDM enabled racks though. Also I used to have a Colortran desk and some Colortran racks which sent a fault signal back down the 0-10v multi and drove an LED on the desk.

or for fault reporting you could have a chat to the nice guys at ETC and have a look at somthing liek the sensor racks with advanced features then if you have an ETC desk you can have the fault reportign and with the emphasis server IFRC it even gives you a little red circle ove the lantern on the plan with a little list of the things that are wrong including things like load changes, looks cool but I have only seen it in use in the showroom so far.

but thats more of a feature of the whole system and involves not just using a standard DMX signel, im more interested in what people would liek the desk to be able to do in itself

(hope that makes sense)

Ben

(ps im not a rep of any kind for ETC nor am I on commision. just happen to have done a bit of work for them so I know my way round the kit (ish))

Well in a real world how about a multi user multi dimetional direct neural interafce so whoever is the LD can understand exactly what the client/production are after and directly interface her ideas with the desk.

Or is this a pipe dream?

James

It may be available on fancy "top of the range" ie newer than anything I use desks, but what about "click and drag" and "ctrl-click" selection with a mouse of channels.

You can sort of do that with a Virtuoso DX, but it's not really designed for that purpose and so it's a tad tricky with big rigs.

It may be available on fancy "top of the range" ie newer than anything I use desks, but what about "click and drag" and "ctrl-click" selection with a mouse of channels.

come to think of it you can do it on most ETC desks if you have the emphasis server

or for fault reporting you could have a chat to the nice guys at ETC and have a look at somthing liek the sensor racks with advanced features then if you have an ETC desk you can have the fault reportign

Nice idea. Does mean having to use an ETC desk tho.... :D

(I like the dimmers tho! :))

S

yeah but I like the ETC desks, depends on the use I guess its not really ideal for a big moving rig but emphasis does make it alot better.

just a pity emphasis doesnt work with the obsession 2 now that would be a good desk

Instead of just sending data from the desk to the dimmers etc, why can't we get a flow of information the other way?  So if a trip went on a dimmer channel that information could pop up straight away on the desk and you could get someone to sort it before a vital cue.

This has been around for quite some time, in various guises - some successful, some not.

The first time I came across it was at Glyndebourne Opera House - two Galaxy Nova desks which could receive information back from the EC90 dimmers regarding faults, load problems, etc. (There's a name for the system - another of Strand's wonderful TLA's - but it temporarily eludes me ...)

In a situation like Glyndebourne it's a useful thing - the dimmers there are spread across four dimmer rooms, so it's useful to have at least some sort of a clue as to what and where the fault is before setting off in search of it. Trouble is, it never seemed to work properly - to the point that most of the errors that came back to the desk were erroneous, and were routinely ignored in favour of a visit to the dimmer rooms with a laptop to plug into the racks in order to talk to them directly if there was a problem.

The first time I came across it was at Glyndebourne Opera House - two Galaxy Nova desks which could receive information back from the EC90 dimmers regarding faults, load problems, etc. (There's a name for the system - another of Strand's wonderful TLA's - but it temporarily eludes me ...)

Was it SMX?

S

Was it SMX?

S

No. Still can't remember what it was, though - but something along the lines of DFR (Dimmer Fault Reporting) is hauntingly familiar. Come to think of it, I think I've got a Galaxy manual lying about somewhere - if I get a minute I'll have a look to see if it sheds any light on the subject.

Archived