Ideal Features on a Lighting Desk

Ben

I would like the possibility to put channels on into some kind of a group, (for rig checking etc)

Most 4D Compulite desks have two programmers, so you can use one for plotting and one for focussing. just one button press to jump between them.

tim

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was it SMX?

S

No. Still can't remember what it was, though - but something along the lines of DFR (Dimmer Fault Reporting) is hauntingly familiar. Come to think of it, I think I've got a Galaxy manual lying about somewhere - if I get a minute I'll have a look to see if it sheds any light on the subject.

OK, well, I was close - DFD - Dimmer Fault Detection. Only ever implemented between Galaxy systems and EC90 or PIP dimmers, and has apparently vanished into obscurity - probably for the best, given the lack of success we had with it.

hey, is it unheard of to have the riggers remote run totally independantly of the desk? so that when the remote is in use it dosn't automaticlly override the desk and vise versa. or am I being dumb and have missed something.

ste

well either the remote or the desk must have priorety as otherwise a single unit could be getting 2 different sets of instructions, but I think that some desks can be used while the riggers remote is used at the same time and the desk just takes prioret, I have done this on the strand 5** series desks not sure about other desks but im sure they cna do it.

otherwise a single unit could be getting 2 different sets of instructions

yes, hadn't thought of that, what a silly bunt.

I just get frustrated when you are trying to focus that extra seven lanterns the LD put in after the last dress, 20 mins before curtain and they keep going out cos the same LD is changing fade times by 0.1 of a second. you know how it goes,

maybe it's one for the boffins to look at that in a particular mode the riggers remote can be ignored by the main desk when updating the cues, rather like a "live Blind Mode" if that makes any sense.

ste

well not really as if the cues are being changed then the higest would be recorded to the cue, the time thing should not make any difference as the levels on the fixture dont need to change its when you need to tweek levels that its a problem but I would think most LDs would want to see it to tweek itr and that cant be done untill its focused anyway.

but I think its the "preview" mode on strand desks that you are looking at, you can change the cues without having to effect the stage when the focus changes may be happening

Again, with strand, undo is there, and is very useful

I'll second that. 'Undo' has got me out of the doo-doo on more than one occasion!

The Hog also has a fairly comprehensive set of 'get out of jail free' undo functions ... for example, if you've mistakenly cleared the programmer, hitting Pig+Clear will pull the previous contents back into the programmer. And if you want to undo some of the parameters you've just altered on a fixture or group of fixtures, but keep others, you can knock parameters out of the programmer either individually or in groups (position, colour, etc.).

Ah, that one has been done then! Its not on the Fat Frog yet!

How about a desk that can record you playing a chase live, then play it back faithfully? IE the length of time between button presses, and how long the button is pressed for.

On a historical note, Zero88 made a desk (Eclipse?) with an inbuilt cigarette lighter!

The Pearl can do that using 'Script file' as can the q commander apparently.

What would be useful would be using a login screen so that each user can have different preferences, eg double digit entry versus single digit or various different ways of displaying channel levels instead of just locking out features like the current strand login does.

apologies if this is in the latest software, I haven't checked for a while

Archived