Plastic speakers.

Bad_Rock

When it comes to plastic cabs I would recommend EV all day long, sound brilliant for a plastic cab. IMO nothing else even comes close.

SX300 brilliant little lightweight speaker crisp sound.

Sx500 ok looks ugly and is big, still sounds great

ZX5 very gound sound response on the low end and top end, cannot fault

Sorry but the likes of mackine, peavey (way too tinni sound), do not even come close.

sorry I know this does not help your £300 budget when buying new, but I would realy consider buying a second hand pair of Sx300, the bench mark plastic speaker cab by far.......period

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would realy consider buying a second hand pair of Sx300, the bench mark plastic speaker cab by far.......period

Just to offer a different opinion... I think they're just abut the most horrible sounding speaker I've ever encountered. I regularly see them out with pub bands and without fail they manage to strip paint off the back walls of the venue, so harsh is their sound. It was only very recently that I first had the dubious pleasure of actually mixing through them. I don't think I've ever used any other speakers with such an ability to transform a mix that sounded great through headphones in to hideous mess. Personally, I'd avoid them at all costs. YMMV of course :D

When it comes to plastic cabs I would recommend EV all day long, sound brilliant for a plastic cab. IMO nothing else even comes close.

Have a listen to the E6, E8 & E12 boxes from d&b... you may change your mind :)

RCF Art 5 and Art 7 series are also very good.

The only EVs that I think sound good are the X-Array boxes, and they aren't plastic, and their big line array. I'll forgive EV their sins of generations of mediocre loudspeakers just because they go the X-Arrays so right.

Most of the American boxes of the affordable nature, even if made in RoC, do tend to shout. Of course, that may be exactly the sound you are looking for.

RCF Active Arts 12, these things 'gush' out sound! and they are indestructible! you can have these at full peak all night, every night and they will still sound sweet.

We used just two of these for our large venue for a band and I was really impressed with what they did, filled the venue up nicely!

I am not a great fan of plastic speakers or even active speakers, but these proved me wrong!

Heres what they managed to fill :)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs260.snc1/10729_1185695646696_1357413414_30771824_7262150_n.jpg

Latest active RCF cabs are by far the best plastic boxes I've heard. The low freqs in particular are very nice. I would suggest these over an EV box every time. The difference is immediately obvious - why not go and compare them for yourself?

I recently compared the RCF ARTs with EVs on my search for new speakers and RCF ART325A vs EV ZX4 in particular. I went for the ZX4 in the end as they just seemed to "throw" a lot better than the RCFs but as the post above states there is a nicer low frequency response from the RCF. Personal choice really.

I have also run EV ZX4 and ZX5 at the same time at a gig (one either side) and there is very little difference between the two other than power handling and the smaller horn on the ZX4 makes the really high frequency "tingley bits" stand out that bit more over the ZX5. In my opinion the ZX5 isn't worth the extra cost as it's quite a price jump.

On a tight budget s/h pair of SX300s every time tho I think.

I recently compared the RCF ARTs with EVs on my search for new speakers and RCF ART325A vs EV ZX4 in particular. I went for the ZX4 in the end as they just seemed to "throw" a lot better than the RCFs but as the post above states there is a nicer low frequency response from the RCF. Personal choice really.

You really should check out the ART 7 series (my review comments) some amazing performance, and way better bottom end than the ART325A.

Would be really interested to hear the ART 4 series, as the budget is quite a bit lower, but I'd expect them to sound pretty top notch.

Archived