Plastic speakers.

Bad_Rock

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SX300s do sound pretty good for plastic speakers. Not too heavy and fairly robust too which is nice.

I would say that the EV S40s sound really good considering their small size. They've probably got more punch and clarity than the SX300s! :)

I have EV SX300 & S200 speakers. They're clear and punchy, but with a light bottom end, which is to be expected from a 12" driver. They make superb monitors, and I have frequently use them in conjunction witha pair of 2x15 subs for small jazz & cabaret gigs.

By the way, I'm looking for some flying frames for the S200s - anyone know of any up for grabs?

There's a pub locally with a couple of pairs of Thomman's own brand (TheBox) speakers. One pair sounds good while the other, newer pair, doesn't sound so great. I've also heard some of the cheap Studiospares speakers which, for the price, sound good. Although they're not as good as the Mackies that I've heard they're not too far behind.

Cheers

James.

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread here...

I am looking to replace my current 15" speakers with some 12" ones. They will be used for mobile discoing both on their own and with a pair of 15" reflex bass bins. At the moment I have narrowed it down to:

- EV SX200 (2nd hand)

- FBT Maxx4 (2nd hand)

- W-Audio PSR12 (new)

They all seem to be quite similar (300W-1200W) but with varying sensitivities. I was wondering if you guys could offer any advice on the matter, or suggest anything else I should look out for. My budget is around £300

If you've got the money I can recommend the RCF Art 7 series. Probably the most powerful powered "speaker on a stick" in this category on the market:

http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/pro-speak...eries/art-722-a

and the 15" version..

http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/pro-speak...eries/art-725-a

Both are excellent. Not sure if there are any on the used market though!

Dan

Archived