Wireless loudspeakers

James C

I want to simulate a mobile phone ringing onstage, and am considering a little RF wireless loudspeaker to do the job. It would hide in the set, and would mean less messing a round with another amplifier and cables running onto the set. Anyone have any idea if this is a no-no because of interference?

It would just be nice for the sound to come from where its coming from, rather than out of the speakers, and given that the show tours into schools as well as venues, it seems like a flexible option. Any thoughts?

What about reversing the feed from a radio mic, so the mic end is by the sound desk (wire an XLR to beltpack connector) and the reciever (Which normally run on 9 or 12v) is on the scenic piece (powered from batteries). Connect the reciever directly to a speaker built into the scenic piece and route the effects to the radio mic transmitter.... jobs a good'un.

Peter

(PS: Thats how they do it on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)

Agree with Richard - we did something close at Olympia... but had amps and speakers on a stand in the middle of the exhibtion area and P&O would have charged us £600 to run 4 cables in..... so...... Radio mic transmitter at the desk end, receiver local to speaker, etc etc .

However, you may still need to run mains power to the receiver....... so if you have to run cables in for that what about a little self-powered speaker and one signal cable from the desk to this? The speakers I was thinking of are something like the small yamaha's for use with a computer - probably pick a pair for under £20, seems more sensible budget wise especially if you don't have a spare radio kicking around??

If you use a digital ringing tone, It will sound like the phone is ringing with the playback speaker 5ft away from the phone. I know, every time a phone rings on the telly, I get up to answer mine .

David

The sort of wireless speakers sold for hifi use etc either work up in 2.4Ghz band, or on the dereg UHF radio mic band (so called chan70). Either are suspect for interference, depends on location etc. Both bands may ave other users (2.4 gig is popular for video senders 4 channs normally available) and there are about 4 dereg uhf radio mic chans. AT do the the cheapest fixed freq. UHF radio mics in the band, at about £190 plus vat (less if you ask nicely) However, goodmans and the like do cheap speakers at around the £100 mark. Take your pick, but you've probably got a spare r/mike, or can scrounge one easier than buying a wireless speaker ?

Mark.

Could you just simply use a mobile phone and call it mid-show?

We once tried this in a show I was working on. The problem is that a call to a mobile takes a variable time to connect, which isn't ideal when you want a phone to ring at a precise moment.

However, that was years ago and things might be different now...

We once tried this in a show I was working on. The problem is that a call to a mobile takes a variable time to connect, which isn't ideal when you want a phone to ring at a precise moment.

However, that was years ago and things might be different now...

Presumably there's a FEW seconds tolerance in the script?

For instance, if it rings early, the cast can continue their lines whilst moving to the phone, and pick it up once their line is finished.

Or, if it rings late, they can busy themselves tidying up. So, it's not a perfect-timed solution but I'm guessing the average connection time mobile-mobile is fairly close to an average most times- so you should be able to predict when to ring so it rings on time.

Nick.

Carphone Warehouse (UK) will supply loan mobile phones for set periods of time...

I believe you can then also get in touch with the network the phone is on, explain the situation and they will arrange so that only calls from a set number will be routed to the phone (prevents embarrasing wrong number scenario) or even the most remote chance that someone else is trying to ring the phone just as you want to - resulting in you going to the answerphone and panicking) - but I'd always have an effect ready just in case...

I think you would be mad to use a live mobile on stage. Far too many variables, the lovely interference onto the sound system as it tries to contact the network and if it's a touring show, the variable reception to name just two.

As has been said, mobile phone rings are notoriously hard to place - a well placed speaker will usually do the trick.

If it really must be a remote system, how about hiding an ordinary wireless phone (one with a suitable ring tone) on the set and using a standard phone ringer.

Thanks, folks,

Looks like I'll go down the "wired" route - no spare radio mic in these parts, and I'm not confident about a real mobile - timing for one thing, and interference from mobiles seems to happen randomly - a change in atmospheric conditions seems to be enough sometimes.

Right, off to see which venues don't have tie-lines, with a sound position miles from the stage!

If you're looking for a cheap wireless radio speaker -

you could try a baby monitor. It involves a little butchery to get a signal into the transmitter but it is little more than getting the right cables to the right pins of your XLR socket (or whatever)

And I'm fairly certain the receiver can be powered by batteries.

Just a thought <_<

If you use a digital ringing tone,  It will sound like the phone is ringing with the playback speaker 5ft away from the phone. I know, every time a phone rings on the telly, I get up to answer mine .

David

This would appear to be the answer - played at a realistic level (ie v.low) through our FOH speakers, its convincing enough for me. Thanks for all the innovative replies - all duly noted for future sound trickery!

Archived