Quick question...

b1nuzz

Hi,

Ive had an e-mail from a guy at a school who is operating lighting for an upcoming show. In his e-mail he has asked me to bring the following;

'it needs to fit into a dimmer rack, and must be a plug with three prongs. And it need the oppsite on the other end so we can put a 'cam' on the end of it.'

Any idea what he is on about?

I have no idea at all.

Thanks guys

hi b1nuzz , I had a similar question myself recently, any help on this subject would be useful for me too, I thought maybe they were refering to a camcorder, however why would you plug that in to a dimmer rack?!

They only thing I can think of would be Cam Lock power conectors, but if someone sent me a discription like that I wouldn't let them anywhere near our cam locks. (they are big conectors for 3 phase, seperate ones each for lives,neutral and earth).

Have you tried emailing back and asking what on earth he means, 'a three prong plug' for example...so, 13,15,16,32,64 Amp single phase all ok then? or an american one with the earth pin?

He could even mean hes running DMX via 3 pin!

Could it be a typo?

He's asking for some sort of extension cable, with mating connectors on each end.

Could he be talking about you supplying a standard 15A extension? Could the "cam" possibly be "can", as in "parcan".

Ask for more info.

Ask Him/Her for an exact specification eg. Cams-63a 3phase. Sometimes Powerloc can be found as well

Cam is normaly short for Camlocks (single core conductors for either single or three phase)

You need to find out what power outlet(s) the venue has,(could be anything) then find out what inlet(s) the dimmer rack has. Dont forget that where the power is, and where the dimmers etc may need an extention cable.

New/Old 3 phase colours

OK "When I started typing this there was only one reply"

Well, it's almost certainly not a camlock / powerlock, as they aren't the opposite of anything with three prongs.

So, it's got three prongs, and fits in a dimmer.

It's probably not a ceeform, or the colour blue would have been mentioned.

I'm going with a 15A lead.

To be safe, just bring one of everything ;)

Archived