Book Issues.

Considering that (IMO) you should be making notes in pencil anyways, there's no point. Coloured pencil doesn't erase quite as nicely, and as you say in dim or blue lighting you need as much contrast between text and page as you can get, and green does not contrast well to white paper.

Something I have done in the past though, is to use a yellow highlighter to highlight important sections on my scripts, as when viewed under a particular blue light (congo works quite well) it 'pops out' at you.

Why do you ask?

David

Why do you ask?

David

Well I've worked a few books in the past, and I've always understood that allot of its down to personal preference, but Ive just started at a drama school and they are forcing us to colour code all the G-O's and S/B's.

and it just doesn't work for me!

I told them they got really anal and told me that I would get marked down if I didn't colour code it! :unsure: :P

Good tip with the highlighter! B-)

:mods: - broken quote tags fixed. Read and digest, please.

Would red and green highlighter work then?

Never tried red, but green seemed to be okay (though not quite as 'poppy'). I used a thin sharpie under the marker (mind you, these are LX Q's not SM Q's so a little more permanant).

I think the only requirement is that it be a "neon" type highlighter.

Wilko, what do they expect you to colour code with? Pencil or Pen?

it's the same for me too- I've always been taught red and green

(but I don't have blue lighting on my desk so maybe that's why... we have weird little bendy led lamps... keep me occupied if I get bored waiting for FOH clearance!)

what do you reckon I should do if I'm running two different designs from the same book?

it's my 3rd year dissertation and on 1 night the designs are different...

I might have to use orange and purple or summat... make it interesting!

I don't think it matters in reality what colours you use- as long as you know which one is which, or if someone else is going to be calling from it, that you leave a key of some description...

(keys are the bane of my life right now...)

Wilko, what do they expect you to colour code with? Pencil or Pen?

They seem to want me to highlight in pen, but as you said in an earlier post I've always been told to stay away from my book with a pen!

... we have weird little bendy lamps....

yeah I've had the goose-neck lamps before, I'm just anal about working lights they all have to be blue!

I told them they got really anal and told me that I would get marked down if I didn't colour code it!

Sounds like my problem at the minute with AS-level computing. I'd much rather do my module 3 coursework in Delphi/C, but the teacher insists it must be done in Access, regardless of what the exam board actually state. Anyone ever tried using Access for extended periods of time? It drives me crazy!

Your teacher needs to be able to mark it.

If they've don't know Delphi or C, then there's no way they can mark your work properly.

I ran into similar issues at Uni - my coursework supervisor wasn't very good at assembler. However, it was very good for me as it forced me to describe the algorithms much more fully.

well I decided to just mark the second design of mine in pencil...

mainly because that way I can tell the difference...

I always mark it in pencil as a rough guestimate and then in pen when it's more definite...

...I tend to find that I always alter where I give cues naturally anyway...

(probably not meant to do that- and really need to hope my supervisor isn't reading this forum atm!)

so if you have to make a book that caters for the possibility of red/green colourblindness... what do you do? if you do it in pencil- how do you differentiate between a standby and a go?

I am also Analy retentive about blue light (the old joke about knowing you have worked in theatre too long when you can only read under blue light seems to be quite true for me)...

All these SM lecturers I seem to be hearing about who tell their students they have to do their prompt book a certain way really need to be kicked. No offence meant to anyone who teaches on these forums, but oftimes I wonder whether they have ever had ANY experiance in the field they teach.

Pens within the theatre should be illegal, with the exception of filling in forms. As for colour coding - I, like many others recomend against it, but it is by and large, personal preference.

I also like to be able to photocopy my prompt book (if I get a chance) and colour photocopying is just not as cheap as black and white.

My marvelously simple method of defining whether something is a SB or a GO

Prefix standbys with SB, and draw a box arround GO cues

(here is a mock one I drew up on the PC some time ago that illustrates it)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/maccalder/th_promptcopy.jpg

click to enlarge

Tomo, I hope to God he does know Delphi, as it is a part of the syllabus! Admittedly, it is a part of the syllabus that we didn't get taught very well at all because the school couldn't handle installing a working copy of it for us to use - with the result that I'm probably the only person who got marks on that section of paper :).

Anyways, sorry for going slightly off-topic :(

I completely agree about all the comments about pens being made illegal, because surely as the wind blows something is bound to change.

I really like the idea about putting a box around the G-O's I think ill start using that myself :stagecrew: (if you don't mind?) as before I always put a box around S/B's and G-O's.

Any more tips anyone would like to add?

Wilko

how do you differentiate between a standby and a go?

At the beginning of every stand by is "S/B"

I also tend not to draw the line from the stand by to a specific point in the script whereas every GO cue has the line to the specific cue word.

Archived