Design Problem

peter

I'm just looking at the initial stages of a lighting design project for February and have come across a problem already. I want a moving fixture to be suspended on the FOH lighting bar, to iris down on a particular element of the set at a particular time. Of course, my initial thought was Mac 500 or similar. The troble is that the lighting bar has a trough below it (you know the sort...) which means clearance is tight at around 550mm.

Does anyone know of a moving fixture with a built in iris which will fit in the 550mm gap?

Failing that, is there a DMX controlled iris I can hire from anywhere, to fit into a Source4 or similar? (Would it stay in focus?)

Why not just drop a short length of scaff on a couple of drift lines that are just long enough to get underneath the 'trough', and rig the Mac on that? Done that several times myself when I need to get movers into an FOH bridge that's too shallow for them.

Thats a nice idea, Gareth. The only trouble is that the "trough" is not load bearing, so I wouldn't really want a Mac 500 on drifts to be applying lateral pressure onto it (its those horrible ceiling tiles we all hate...) - its very easy to bend it accidentally.

There are ways around that. Find a point in front of the bar that you're hanging from, and construct a couple of little 'bridles' to pull your suspension lines forward. Or find yourself a few short lengths of scaff and some clamps, and make yourself a braced outrig bar from which to hang the drifts.

Does it actually have to be a moving yoke?

Most moving mirror fixtures would fit in 500mm of clearance, if you align the length of the fixture with the run of the bar. Hanging the fixture in this orientation may restrict the areas on stage you can hit - depends on the exact details of the set up, really. If that's a problem, you could always use a Clay Paky Stage Scan and rotate the mirror head.

Of course, if you want to shutter down on the set piece rather than irising down, then you might want to try and locate a Martin PAL - except I've just checked, and it's too big to fit in the gap. Does anybody know any other moving mirror lights with moving shutters?

Tom

You can get a DMX iris for a Source 4 - I know Sparks have them - but last time I got involved in one it never worked properly and we ended up rigging something involving a conventional iris, a rubber band and a long piece of string - worked very well.

Would a Source4 Revolution fit? Sounds like a good excuse to play with a new bit of kit.

Archived