Pitstop barriers for crowd control

Mr Wheeler

Not sure if this is the right section as I have searched the forum and can't find anything similar.

The theatre I work at has a rock/pop gig hired in, and there will be approx 700 in the theatre in a flat floor format (500 downstairs, 200 balcony). I have staged flat floor gigs before, but not for this many people and I'm not sure whether or not there needs to be any crowd control in front of the stage, which will be built from steeldeck. There won't be any stage diving or huge mosh pit involved as the band have played here before and the crowd was well behaved, and wasn't as big. Also, the raked seating was in, with the orchestra pit lowered in front of the stage for people to dance.

Can anyone advise the best route forward and if there is a legal requirement to have barriers if the audience is over a certain number.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

I guess there cannot be such a rule since if there was it would be applied daily to your theatre. Barriers are either up to promoter or are direct demand of the artist (part of the contract) or are venue's rule.

One option before you go for barriers in case there is not enough room for them is to use orchectra pit as natural barrier for the crowd. It does not allow dancing thou....

Barriers fall under the wonderfull banner of "Risk Assessment" AFAIK.

Look at the situation, and decide.

Some bands will feel a bit more comfortable with some form of barrier between them and the public, some will not care either way. Some bands incite riot, others do not. Will you be overcrowded? etc.

As a general rule, it is better to be safe than sorry, but barriers can also be a safety hazard if used incorrectly.

There used to be a book called "The Pop Code", but I believe it has had a name change. This would probably be the closest to chapter-and-verse. I can't remember what it is now called.

The Event Safety Guide - A guide to Health, Safety and welfare at music and similar events.

ISBN: 0717624536

HSE Ref: HSG195

Cost: £20

HTH,

Hadyn

But if you decide you need a barrier, hire a proper one and don't try to build one out of bits'n'pieces.

Have a look here:Sico Stage barrier

There could be nothing worse than having a barrier that collapses under the pressure of the crowd. It should have steps for security at the back to allow them to get people over the barrier if needed. For that purpose it should have a wide round bar at the top and not have any protrusions where the kids could get caught.

And consider the subs, a good barrier has mesh panels to allow the sound to travel through.

Check your venue's licence for T&Cs, Risk Assess with security managers from previoue appearances. The Pop code as above also guides you. If you decide on a barrier hire in a good one and the crew and communications to run it. The Barrier is where the crushed get pulled out and there should be both pullers there to pull them out and first aid/parameds there to treat casualties. If you hire a barrier then they have to find a place to secure IT.

Archived