IOSH and NEBOSH

bruce

Hi,

Possibly a little :mods: for this forum, possibly not.... your wisdom would be appreciated!

I'm looking for opinions on generic H&S courses and qualifications, in particular aimed at people who will be supervising sub-contractors and carrying out risk assessments etc. The environment is generic electrical and data cable installations.

Several people - including the H&S department at one of our major subcontractors - have suggested that the IOSH (www.iosh.co.uk) accreditation - in particular the "Managing Safely" and "Managing Client/Contractor Relationships" courses - may be more appropriate than the NEBOSH (www.nebosh.org.uk) diploma.

Any comments or thoughts on IOSH vs NEBOSH?

Bruce.

I know lots of people in theatre who have done the 5 day course and find it enough for what you suggest.

Advice given to me (and it led to doing the NEBOSH certificate at that time) was that if you're appointed to advise on health and safety in an organisation, at the very least you should reach NEBOSH General Certificate level.

You can do it in block release or by distance learning. I would recommend doing it with a group of others (I did it distance learning, and consequently had no interaction with other learners).

I attended the IOSH 5 day Managing Safely course last summer and found it very interesting and useful.

The one I took was run by British Safety Services on behalf of the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School. Doing it with a group of (fairly) like minded theater people made it much more relevant. I believe they intend to run it annually so it may be worth giving them a call.

• 3 weeks later...
I have both the IOSH Managing Safely and the NEBOSH general certificate . The NEBOSH is more comprehensive that the IOSH course . I think the IOSH is aimed at small business men just to give them an insite into their H&S responsibilities . When looking for a suitable NEBOSH course one thing I did discover is getting a course at your local college of FE is a damn site cheaper than using a private training organisation . You mentioned the NEBOSH Diploma . IIRC the entry requirement for the diploma is to allready hold the NEBOSH General or Constrution Certificates .

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not following this up. One of the things that annoys me is when someone posts a question, gets a bunch of useful answers, and doesn't follow it up - even if only with a thanks! Sorry!

Anyway - we decided that in this case, the IOSH "Managing safely" and "contractor relationships" courses were most appropriate - this was based on info from our own H&S people, as well as (somewhat bizarrely!) the advice received from the company employing the contractors who we would be supervising! It's a much bigger operation than ours, and they contract within a large number of corporate organisations - they have got H&S procedures down to a fine art...

So one of my team has spent the last week away on various courses.

Once he gets back, I'll find out how worthwhile he felt it all was.

Bruce.

Archived