Lighting Structures

Nicktaylor

It has come up that some of the structure in our theatre is possibly not constructed to current regulations. It is safe, but management are muttering so I am trying to find out what we should/must do to get it up to standard. Any links out there?

Are you talking about the building itself? Or the rigging structure within the theatre? And which standards does it fall foul of?

You say it's safe - is this the opinion of a qualified structural engineer? If it is, and your insurers are happy, then I'd say that your management has nothing to worry about.

Good answer Gareth. The house I live in is not constructed to current regulations (nor is 95% of this countries housing stock) but we still live in them and we still get insurance. Unless there is a danger to the staff or public there is nothing to worry about. If the management are worried then they ought to put their hands in their pockets and pay for a qualified expert to take a look.

Nick

I've just re-read you post and, given it's topic I guess you may be talking about your lighting supports? If so perhaps you could post a bit more detail about what system you currently have and what is suspected to be wrong with it.

We are talking community centre here. I need to know where to do the research. Basically scaf poles, and the main question is about using scaf clamps instead of those right angle u bolt things like in the TV studio at work. This is a structure locked to RSJs that are in themslves about 5 times over rated. The Hall is post war and the ironwork was a workshop so was designed for over head movement. What I need is a place to read about this, I am not looking for along list of different ideas! Thanks very much though!

Saying "Gareth", as an example says it is alright or not is not grounds for a discussion with the committee! :blink:

Anything used to suspend stuff in the air comes under LOLER (Lifting Operations & Lifting Equipment Regulations). You need to make sure that all your temporary suspension equipment (under which heading I suspect scaff clamps would come) is tested and certified, and rated with a safe working load. For permanent suspension, I think your best bet would be to find a tame structural engineer and ask them to produce a report stating that your rigging is safe. That should be enough to put paid to any doubts about the equipment not being up to scratch, and would also cover your back in the event of any problems in the future.

I think your best bet would be to find a tame structural engineer and ask them to produce a report stating that your rigging is safe.

Are you in London, Nick? We've had a structural engineer in our place (who does other ents venues) a couple of times - he doesn't mince his words, but he treats you as a client, rather than a serf, and gives me the impression that he doesn't go overboard if something ain't broke.

PM me if you want his details.

Archived