Favourite Profile Lantern

Loz

Your favourite Profile?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite Profile Lantern for Gobo projection?

• ETC Source 4
    • Strand Prelude (or similar)
    • Strand SL
    • Robert Juliat (Quincy/D'Artagnan/Athos)
    • Other
  2. 2. What is your favourite Profile Lantern for front spotlighting?

• ETC Source 4
    • Strand Prelude (or similar)
    • Strand SL
    • Robert Juliat (Quincy/D'Artagnan/Athos)
    • [Strand Patt.23 (aka. the hairdryer]
    • Other

CCT Freedoms, Selecon Pacifics and Altman Shakespeares are as common, if not more so, than the Juliat profiles that you've listed in the poll - what about adding options for those units rather than lumping them all together into "other"?

CCT Shilouettes, Patt 264s and Patt 23s beccause they are all I have available.

Replace patt 264's with T-spots (most of which lack 1 or more lens's and have fubar'd reflecters) and you have BUGS. The Sil's are knew to them but still pretty old and the patt 23's are mostly the old pre shuttered version.

We hire some pacific's one time and they were a revolution (all be it I wasn't on that show - t'was an opera *shudders*)

Although optically the SL isn't far off a Source4, it's a complete arse to change the lamp.

ETC got almost everything right in the Source4 - although the older versions with only one lens tube retainer are a little annoying, the newer ones with two are great.

One thing to remember is that there is no single fixture that does everything - remember 'horses for courses' - if a show wants custom colour gobos, a Pacific it is.

ETC's Source Four has pretty much dominated the market in the US, and for good reason (IMHO), but the other dominant fixture is the Shakespeare, and I h a t e hate HATE their shutters! Altman shutters (on any of their standard fixtures) have never been good after they age and warp, but ETC got smart in their design and made the seperation plated held in by springs instead of screws. And the lamp cap is soooooo much easier to deal with in the S4 than a Shakespeare

Did I mention my vote is for Source Four?

best gobo projector I've used is easily the Robert Juliat 1k - can't remember its nomme de lux. Using a meshed cloud gobo it was possible to focus so sharp that you could see the mesh - not I realise what you actually want, but an indication of the quality of the optics and the set-up - the first being down to the design, and the second down to conscientious maintenance.

I've replaced my old SLs (letting them rot in hell) with RVE 1kW recently - surprised me that nobody mentioned them - they are very cheap, with almost excellent optics - and sooo nice to use. I've never seen a profile with this easily accesible lamp or lens. Quite fragile though, 'twas really easy to crack the condensor lens :unsure:

Archived