NJD Quality

dekw1

Has anyone bought any NJD lights lately ?. A few months ago I bought a set of NJD Spectres. the purpose being to hire them out to small bands who could'nt afford more elaborate equipment with an operator,

One unit had a constant flicker (not the flicker you get with no input signal ), and the second one stopped working completely after 2hr's use, after a few conversations with Electrovision they agreed to send out a new set.

The new set arrived, and on trying to open the flightcase one of the butterfly catches just turned round and round, the only way in was to force the lid off.

Next task was to install the 500 watt lamps, one unit was fine , the other though had one of the lampholders hanging by the wires with no screws holding it in, repairing this entailed completely dismantling the unit to replace the setstud and nut.

Finally I had two Spectres working fine, the bleeding of the colours at the edge of the beam was not a problem for my use, although the fact that the RED filter produces at best an AMBER light with a YELLOW periphery is'nt too good.

I used them for 2hr's the other night and all three filters in one unit cracked one at a time, this could only have been cause by heat / expansion.

I am at present awaiting three new filters from Electrovision, as they do not have any complete front panels available, nor do the have any heatproof silicon adhesive for me to attach them with.

The saga continues. :stagecrew:

Thats quite spooky.

A friend of mine has just bought a new one to replace an old unit that flickers (if you put it into half lamp mode, it doesn't flicker by the way)

And, same as you, a few hours later, all of the lenses cracked.

I know that a few years ago NJD moved production out to india, but I wouldn't have thought the QC system would have been changed.

We have had the same problem, there had been a batch of bad red dichros, saddly electrovision the UK distributor can not tell us when they will have a shipment of spares to replace them with.

GREAT.

AFAIK NJD production is now in china not india.

• 1 year later...
Same happened with us today, got a spectre in to try it out before making a bulk purchase. After around two hours of use we took the lantern down to find one of the filters cracked. Looks like we will be looking elsewhere to replace our current stock!

The njd stuff with TRS for DMX was good, though quirky. The stuff from India was imported by NJD and worked ok, though some toroidal transformere had beer replaced by stack laminate ones for cheapness. The Chinese stuff comes through Electrovision and is usually defective.

Seriously look for TRS stuff for DJ work as it usu still works well.

FWIW - I have a pair of Spectres which are still going fine after around 3 1/2 years (well, apart from the blue filter burning thru...). They've had maybe 400 band gigs under their belt - no problems at all. Loved them for the convenience and size - gone back to P64s now though - it's just more rock 'n' roll!

Adam

Archived