DMX Soft patch

Grum

Hi Peeps,

Does anyone know of a single universe stand alone soft pach device?

When my venue was installed instead of wiring things properly they solved any problems with the soft patch on the desk. That's not a problem until you want to use a different desk, running through our desk works fine until you try to use moving lights because our old ETC impression just can't process the incomming DMX fast enough.

I know there are ways round this but a lot of visiting LD's can't understand why when they plug something into circuit 103 they don't just have to patch DMX no 103 I've tried giving them a copy of the soft patch but it doesn't really help.

Please can someone help????

Thanks in advance,

Grum

Artistic Licence produce a "Cue-Patch" unit that solves many of these problems. It combines a small DMX splitter with a full soft patch and one or two other useful bits and pieces. It's available in both single and double universe versions and wasn't horrendously expensive when we brought ours about two and a half years ago (to solve a very similar issue).

PM me for more details.

Glyn

Peter: The dimmers are Zero 88 LTC's and don't have a soft patch

Tomo: Brian who?

Glyn: Artistic licence now only sell the two universe version which lists at £1895 which is a little too much (great product but a bit too much)

Thanks for the suggestions guys keep 'em comming

I'd never use ethernet.

I've installed several ethernet systems and (in my experience) they're nothing but trouble. Besides from the looks of it those products wouldn't do what I need. All I need is to soft pacth ONE DMX universe i.e. re configure the DMX so that the desk channels and circuits are 1 to 1 and take the soft patch out of the desk.

The last thing I want to do is convert my DMX to ethernet so that I can re-convert it back to DMX in 20 metres. Too many boxes playing with the signal, your signal chain's only as good as its weakest link and the fewer links there are the less chance there is of one of them failing in the first place.

thoes boxes can patch any channel on any universe to any other on a per channel or block basis , and with only 1 universe you would only need 1 box one with an in and a out , once setup , static ip ect all it would need is power it wouldent atchulley need a network conection.

also you would be futureproofing your system ready for ACN

any way a box that willl do what you want http://www.enttec.com/datagate.php

ian

I suspect I could write some new firmware for my USBDMX interface to do the job. The only snag I see with it in its current form is :-

1. You would need to configure it via a computer as it has no UI built in.

2. You would need to add some power as its bus powered from the USB. (simple enough)

Ben

[Edited to fix link]

I may have missed something here, but relabelling the dimmer sockets would seem by no means a daft suggestion.

I assume the issue is that there is a "house" soft patch - that is, the Number 1 LX bar has dimmers 1, 2, 17,93, ect, and has been softpatched to be Control 1- 12 consecutively, for example. Is not the answer just to "park" the house patch when a show comes in, so the LD can enter the new patch, and reload it again after the show has gone?

Newbury CX use to have a house patch that was always a drag and I adopted the above when I toured there.

Apologies if I've missed the point, let me know what the solution is.

Cheers

Ken

thoes boxes can patch any channel on any universe to any other on a per channel or block basis , and with only 1 universe you would only need 1 box one with an in and a out , once setup , static ip ect all it would need is power it wouldent atchulley need a network conection.

also you would be futureproofing your system ready for ACN

any way a box that willl do what you want http://www.enttec.com/datagate.php

ian

I did not think the Enttec DataGate did softpatching.... I know it does mergers etc, but AFAIK there is no way to softpatch.

Ken: You've got that right but re-numbering the sockets is going to be a real pain in the back-side (I like plugging a spider into dimmers 71-76 I don't want to have to remember six random dimmer numbers)

Andrew: Got it in one mate, the problem is only when we have a show that is using our dimmers with their desk.

Archived