10m Throw Spotlights

erik10_4

I'm on the look our for a couple of spotlights which have a good throw (upto 10 metres). The CCT Minuette Z0644 Pebble-Convex: 300/500/650W 10-59° seems to fit the bill (but there seem to be others which have a 6 degree angle (I'm presuming the smaller the angle, the tighter the resulting spot).

Any thoughts on what I should look out for? I would prefer items which I could source secondhand because, as many of you know I'm working on minimal budget to get my kit together.

;)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmm...hear what you are saying but I was trying to avoid 1kw because of the 13A supply (& 5w max channels on dimmer). If I'm reading things right, the Minuette I mentioned earlier seems to be able to provide beam diameter of just over a metre @ 9m throw with 650w lamp. If that's correct, I think it would just about be OK. I have already got a Strand Prelude (16/30 with 650w lamp)...the illumination is fine, but the beam a bit too wide(about 2.5 metres).

Thanks for your comments so far.

Yes of course, it is for small amdram theatre productions in quite a small hall. A soft edge is fine. You may have seen some earlier mails, when I hired some basic kit for a charity production that my wife and her friends staged for "War Child". It was all really successful (after much stress and advice from the good people on Blue-room) and we raised over £1000. I have been buying (portable) kit so that next time (in October), I don't need to do a round trip of 140 miles to hire and can give the performers some chance to experience the lighting before the 'big night.

Regards ;)

I got a throw that is 9-10m long at FOH bar, what I use is the CCT Shilouette with the 19-45 lens tube and if I need a smaller spot I just use a iris...

At 10m throw everything below 1kw starts to feel weak, but if you can get a really tight profile spot (>10 degrees) then 500 or 650 may work fine.

There is a 6-14 degree version of the Minuette profile which should do the job if you can find one. More expensive, but much more powerful, would be a narrow Source 4 which would still be relatively low in its power requirement.

HTH

Yeah, the Minuette Z0608P also looks interesting. I was originally hoping that a Multi-Par I bought (the one with 4 lenses that, it is claimed, gives out the equivalent of 1KW with a 575W lamp ) may be OK with a 'very narrow' lens installed....but sadly the beam is not narrow at all.

Think I will keep watching out for CCT Minuettes on eBay over the next few months!

Cheers

im throwing 22m with a PSL Lancer 575W. Its got great output on it, with 4 degrees up to about 12 I think (correct me if im wrong). You can get a 1000W lamp for it, but to me, thats overkill.

The only thing is, if you have any conventional followspots, and wanting to add another one, this probably isnt the one you want, as it has a pure white output.

Did I mention it comes with 6 gels?

I'm on the look our for a couple of spotlights which have a good throw (upto 10 metres)...

Well, id like to suggest a 5*Degree ETC Source four. But the Lens on its own would set you back well over £300! try looking at the Showtec multi-profiles they use the HPL575 lamps (same as ETC) not sure if they can handle the HPL750 lamps? And a 5*Degree lens from showtec will set you back about £60! bit of a price difference! :P

people are talking about 5, or 6 degree lenses? At 10m distance, wonit the beam be rather small - depending on the exact angle you use, 50 - 75 cms in diameter?

Sorry that was just an idea for one of the tighter spots! with a throw of about 10 meters your looking at about a 6 foot diameter. or you could double size with a 10*degree lense?

I think a little trigonometry is required here here!

12' at 10m is 20 odd degrees?

I've got a FOH truss at about the distance we're talking about, and the 17 degree fixed profiles I have are not wide enough for many things I have to focus them on - I often end up with soft beams, just to get the extra width.

Archived