Command Lines (again)

DanielArkley

There's no formal specification as such. But the bottom line, at least as far as basic channel control operations is concerned, is that there are only so many ways of bringing a certain channel to a certain level. (*ahem* Reverse Polish *ahem* :blink: )

But as I said the last time this subject came up - why reinvent the wheel? Take a look at how current command-line-based desks (Strand 500, Hog, etc.) do it, and take your lead from that. If you think you can improve on the way others implement it, then by all means do. But I think you'll find that whole armies of software engineers have already thought it through pretty much as far as it can go.

We're back in that circle again :** laughs out loud **: I am trying to implement what other people have made into my own software - I am trying to find out HOW the Strand 500, Hog and other desks do it, so I can use the same language in my program :( I am trying to use what the "whole armies of software engineers" have made so I DONT reinvent the wheel :blink:

In that case- can I get the syntax of commands from somewhere like the Strand 500 Manual ?

Any thoughts on "Intelectualy Property" anyone

I think it highly unlikey you could claim a command line interface is IP. Strand et al could hardly claim Reverse Polish is theirs, likewise the terms 'channels', 'dimmers' 'fixtures' etc.

We're back in that circle again :( I am trying to implement what other people have made into my own software - I am trying to find out HOW the Strand 500, Hog and other desks do it, so I can use the same language in my program :o I am trying to use what the "whole armies of software engineers" have made so I DONT reinvent the wheel :** laughs out loud **:

In that case-  can I get the syntax of commands from somewhere like the Strand 500 Manual ?

We're only 'back in that circle again' because it appears that you didn't take on board what was said to you last time ... :blink:

With respect, I'd have thought that an operator's manual would be the *first* place you looked if you wanted to know the command line syntax for a particular desk, rather than something you resort to when you don't get the answers you want elsewhere. (Which, incidentally, you have - in terms of basic channel control, at least, which seems to be what you're after - in my post of 8th September @ 5:07pm.)

www.strandlight.com will get you the manual for the 500-series.

www.flyingpig.com will give you the manual for the Hog.

Am I being thick here?  What do you mean by "Reverse Polish"?

Reverse Polish Notation is a particular style of writing mathematical functions and equations, by putting the operators at the end of a string of operands rather than in the middle. The basic principles of this were applied, in a strange sort of way, to lighting control by (IIRC) AVAB on some of their early desks. Thankfully it never caught on ...

What do you mean by "Reverse Polish"?

A way of working on a command line, often seen on older HP calculators as in...

'5,10,+' which would give you 15 as an answer. Or '1 CH 50 @' = set channel 1 to 50% or '5 CH 10 THRU 50 @ 4 RECORD 6 TIME'

EDIT

damm, Gareth beat me to it

Gareth - forgive me - I missed your post with the command line on it.

I posted again as my previous thread turned into a discussion on the merits of DMX and why I should not be interested in PMX. Without starting all over again, I am using PMX, nothing is going to change that for this project (apart from my death... or something else drastic like that) and I am trying to implement a command line into my application which experienced people (unlike me - I'm 15 and never used a command line on a lighting desk) can use without remembering multiple ways of doing things.

Archived