Audio over cat 5??

brownstuff

My goodness that would look pikey.

It also isn't all that flexible, and I wouldn't expect it to last as long either. For an install, then why not.

For this cable, I have added some screening so I have something a bit more meaningful to solder in to the XLR connectors (I just used some from a different dead cable). That was then split four ways, one for each pair, and all heatshrinked together. Connectors put on the ends (two in each direction) and a bit of heatshrink put over the join from the main cable to the four tails. Add a cable tie to provide some strain relief when inevitably some get pulled in different directions and it's done.

I haven't had a chance to test it "properly" yet, though all the cores work with the cable tester.

What have I done badly? Well, I've made the tails rather short and because the only cable ties I had in my tool box were moderately sized, they have on outside the heatshrink so don't look as good as they might otherwise.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big downside of Cat5 isn't the electrical performance, it's the robustness of the cable. I'm happy using my Cat5 stuff for a few extra lines, but I'd never put myself in the position where a show relied upon it completely. Cat5 is throw-away stuff, and the jacket doesn't provide much protection.

It also doesn't provide much for cable glands to grip on to - that's why mic cable has filler in it. So the termination isn't as secure, even though the Ethercon housing does a pretty good job. And if you use it for Live sound, you realise pretty soon that it doesn't handle well, doesn't resist snagging, and kinks easily. Things might be different if you're using it for a permanently installed solution - but in that case you could use something like Starquad or another installation cable which doesn't have the thick outer jacket.

If you use the extra-flexible, well-jacketed, more expensive cable that is used for digital snakes, then you might just as well use a regular multi. There's no such thing as a free lunch!

My goodness that would look pikey.

It also isn't all that flexible, and I wouldn't expect it to last as long either. For an install, then why not.

Yeah, was thinking for install purposes - can buy a 305m box of STP cat5 for about £75. A 50m reel of 4 way multi is about £60, so seems a steal if it works.

Being Irish, I don't mind looking pikey every now and then ;)

The big downside of Cat5 isn't the electrical performance, it's the robustness of the cable. I'm happy using my Cat5 stuff for a few extra lines, but I'd never put myself in the position where a show relied upon it completely. Cat5 is throw-away stuff, and the jacket doesn't provide much protection.

It also doesn't provide much for cable glands to grip on to - that's why mic cable has filler in it. So the termination isn't as secure, even though the Ethercon housing does a pretty good job. And if you use it for Live sound, you realise pretty soon that it doesn't handle well, doesn't resist snagging, and kinks easily. Things might be different if you're using it for a permanently installed solution - but in that case you could use something like Starquad or another installation cable which doesn't have the thick outer jacket.

If you use the extra-flexible, well-jacketed, more expensive cable that is used for digital snakes, then you might just as well use a regular multi. There's no such thing as a free lunch!

What sort of cable do you use for the cat5 bit? Does it have to be shielded stuff or will UTP do?

What sort of cable do you use for the cat5 bit? Does it have to be shielded stuff or will UTP do?

STP is better for noise immunity. The shield, however, does not add as much noise protection as using balanced signals over twisted pairs does.

UTP should work fine over shorter distances at line level but won't suppport phantom power unless you sacrifice a twisted pair to provide ground. Not sure what using a pair for ground does to noise immunity, though I suspect 'nothing' is the answer.

Archived