Microphone Flightcases

BenWall

Evening all,

I am looking to buy some flight cases to transport microphones. I have googled through and found different manufacturers that make and supply cases, some specifically for mic's, some not. I usually tend to go with Peli cases for most things small, such as my dB meter, distance measurer etc... But want to start having nice solid boxes to transport mics.

Again I am tempted to go with the Peli cases for this scenario too, but thought I would put it to the board and see what everyone else uses or suggests!

The mic's I am on about are the usual suspects, i.e. 58's/B58's, 57's/B57's etc etc...

Ben.

This may help, if not I'm sure it will come up for future reference.

I needed a simular thing, flightcases for mics, but was on a bit of a tight budget, so contacted sherlock foams here they created inserts however I wanted them designed, at a very cheap price. Very helpful aswell.

Lee

Hi

We went for a drop style case as you can get more mic's in. Penn fabbs do a 25 hole insert that also has 4 small drop holes that take akg se300's etc. Got that built into a full flight with extra space for DI's, clips & odd shaped mics next to it. Quite heavy so a further revision could be to add those handle/ wheel fittings that make it like a luggage case. Cost more than Gator etc, but then a lot more robust.

Did spend a few hours working the best route to go, but choice best based on your budget/use/no. & types of mics etc.

Andi

I bought (about 12 months ago) a 'steel breifcase' for about AU$25, and then went to my local foam/ruber supply shop, and took with me a CAD design and a printed out copy of the design for the insert.

Basic design was 3 pieces.

A bottom thin(ish) sheet of foam, glued atop that, a thicker piece of foam with the microphone holders cut out. That was glued into the bottom. On the top, I used a flat sheet as well. The case holds 6 SM58's and 4 SM57's (namely because that is what I needed to fit in the case). I compared it to a comercial offering, and came out close to a hundred AUD ahead.

I think the total cost of the three pieces was $15, cut using their foam cutter and it works a dream

You can also buy cases with pre-cut cubes of foam that you tear to your design - not a fan.

Or buy the foam, place a mic on it, trace arround in texta, then cut within the lines (make it a tad smaller than the mic) using your trusty leatherman/a saw/a knife... really time consuming though.

Or buy the foam, place a mic on it, trace arround in texta, then cut within the lines (make it a tad smaller than the mic) using your trusty leatherman/a saw/a knife... really time consuming though.

Or build a foam cutter. There are dozens of designs out there on the internet, do a :blink:. But., at it's simplest, it's a "bow" (think Robin Hood) with a steel or nichrome wire, and an appropriate power supply. Ideally about 10W variable at 12V.

Archived