Showtec sunstrip active

Mystic

Showtec proposes an active T10 as the sunstrip active. This looks like a cool fixture, they say it can be controlled by 10 DMX channels (yes it looks like you can chase inside a T10 ;) ). Does anybody have already seen or used this fixture and what do you think of it ? I'm considering buying some couple of it but I fear the "Chinese disco fixture" effect :D

Hi,

I recently bought 2 of these units and I am impressed with them. Very bright, very easy to handle. The only problem with them is that they have a powercon in and out so I have to take some powercon leads round with me now. The units have powercon in and out as well as DMX, and they can be set to respond to 1, 2,5 or 10 channels.

Quite good for the cash, I recommend. Plus spare lamps are only about £2 if that.

HTH

Si

Those are the 240v versions of the MR16 halogen, right? If so, my experience with them suggests you be very very careful about bumping the lamps when hot- indeed bumping them at all- as they are pretty sensitive, and break quite easily due to the large-ish 240v fillament inside such a small bubble.

Other than that, they look awesome! I want some- I may just build my own, if I can get hold of some small cheap dimmer kitsets, and a demux!

David

Other than that, they look awesome! I want some- I may just build my own, if I can get hold of some small cheap dimmer kitsets, and a demux!

If its for a bit of fun, then an Artistic Licence AL4016 pre-programmed PIC chip and a few triacs is all you need, apart from building and populating the PCB :P

Without me personally seeing them before I cant give a personal opinion, how ever I have spoken to someone who has 4 and he agrees with the rest of you, "they give a good effect and are cheep to run" (his words)

What sort of price are they to buy?

John Partridge

They were showing these off at ABTT 2005. They look really neat (and very bright). I seem to remember something about built in chases too.

Chauvet also make a similar unit which can be gelled (each bulb individually) but I dont think its DMX.

• 2 months later...

I've got 4 units in on a production (on hire from Viking)

I got them in with no expectations, and was very, Very impressed. Perhaps I'm just cynical but it takes a lot to get me excited - these have. To put this post in perspective I have 12 Robe CS 1200's swiniging in the rig and 24 scrollers, so what I'm saying is I don't get that excited about lighting products. But these really have impressed me

I'm using them underneath lite deck as a low level wash for dancers. They are really bright.

Yes they are channel hungry - although I could have addressed them all to the same, or ahd 2 lots of 20 etc.

They do get hot, they have been kicked by dancers and I haven't lost a bubble yet.

I like the powercon I've also got 12 Robe CS 1200's swinging in the rig so these babys simply plug into the distro - sorted!

imagine the mess using conventional birdies!

Downside

1# no gel frame.

2# weve wasted loads of drinking time writing pointless chases just to see what effects we can get!

They do have inbuilt chases, pity you can't access them via DMX. At that price I think I might invest in some myself. I wonder if they could be IP rated - the'd look great around my deck - and work out cheaper thn some of the stuff from B&Q :(

• 1 year later...

Archived