What wattage to use

mac.calder

I need to put some text up in lights, in the cliche broadway style - domestic light bulbs arround the outline of text/within the text. The main issue, is I have no idea what wattage to use for the lights. To bright, and the audiece will be blinded, too dull and it will not be visible. It is a 600 seat pros. arch. venue, about 70m (off the top of my head) from the location it will be flown from to the biobox.

The other (less minor issue) is that the higher the wattage, the less bulbs I can use in a string.

TBH every time I have done something in a show using this effect (or using bog standard festoon) it's always been far too bright when flashed to FL, this is using normally either 20w or 40w golf ball lamps.

We've normally ended up keeping it at about the 50% mark to make it comfortable.

HTH

Stu

Best way I've found of doing it is 3 or 4 small tubes (I think they are about 200mm long something like that) and are about 40w I think. These are all soldered together, going to a 15A plug and then run through a dimmer or a sound to light unit. Havent done it for a bit but looks more realistic than bulbs IMHO as it is a more even light.

Best way I've found of doing it is 3 or 4 small tubes <SNIP> looks more realistic than bulbs IMHO as it is a more even light.

Ah, but half of it is the effect! And the plan is to use four circuits and have a 3 step chase for the outer lights, producing a marching effect, or having all four on for a flood fill.

As for the 40W max with <50% levels, great! that makes life soo much easier. 40W globes are cheap as chips.

... it's always been far too bright when flashed to FL, this is using normally either 20w or 40w golf ball lamps.

Agreed. Having the lamps dimmed also makes white golfballs look much softer as they're not really, well, white. They also come on more slowly, even without a fade in the chase, it looks (paradoxically) a lot more "natural".

Archived