Portable Sound Meters

euan

Hello does anyone have any experiences with or recommendations for portable sound meters. I am looking for something primarily to measure sound levels from various positions in the auditorium. Now I know I could bodge something together but we have the budget for a decent piece of kit. Possible future applications could include in-house noise assessment for our workshops so I am looking for a good all round unit.

recommendations/Warnings/Experiences most appreciated.

At the cheap and cheerful end of the market, I have a Radio Shack thing which serves pretty well. I'm sure it's not extremely accurate, but seems good enough to get a general overview for the purposes of safety checking etc etc.

Dunno who'd sell the equivalent these days since Tandy closed shop - Maplin, I guess?

RS sell a variety of sound level meters with prices from £200-400 depending on features. You'll also need to keep the calibration up-to-date, especially if you're using it during events with licences based on sound levels (i.e. outdoor gigs/concerts). A windshield is good for outside use; ditto a case to prevent it dying!

At the other end of the spectrum, the soundlevel meter in one of the Nokia phones was pretty accurate, although it lacked more advanced integrating functions etc.

Yup I've found plenty of stockists and units varying from £70(analouge)/ £150 (Digital complies to IEC651 and ANSI SI.4 standards)/the £250 range(al sing all dancing)/ up to silly money.

Just wondered if anyone had hands on experience with any units.

ta

Archived