Freelance-ish!

b1nuzz

I have searched the forum but couldnt find anything so here goes.

I have been asked to do some lighting and sound at a teatre for a dance show. It is not difficult, just colour wash's and cueing CD's etc. We will need to buys gels etc and rig the lighting that they allready ave. They also allready have a sound system.

They want to pay us to do it, but I have no idea what sort of rate of pay something like this should have on it. They want to arrange a meeting to discuss price, so im asking you guys if you have a general guideline to go with.

Sorry question is a bit vague, but will appreciate all you offer.

Cheers guys

price depends on many things. Firstly, are you freelance or not? If they pay you as an individual as in a cheque made out to Mr Nuzz, can you bank it? The revenue may want a chunk of it, don't forget. As for price, it depends on what you can get, as you guessed. Some of us on here would charge around £120 - £250 per day plus expenses. Others would do the gig for £50. You say 'us', so that means two of you - so are they going to pay a total of £500, or £100.

Depending on your age and experience, then assuming you are not experienced and don't do this for a living then the minimum wage should be a starting point. Hours wise, the venue would expect to have to pay this figure to anyone. Once you do know your stuff, bump up the rate, as long as you are still worth it. Unless there is a good reason (and they are rare) I always compare myself with a plumber - if they can get good rates, so can I.

I can't tell you what you are worth. if you turn up in a brand new transit and are thirty plus, you'll look like you justify decent money. If you arrive on a bus with few bits and pieces, expect a fiver an hour.

This is a pit :mods: I know, Sorry about that!

I do lightning for summer events witch are out of town and we have to sleep in tents. I don't want to know how much I can ask for it from them. I want to know how I should charge them, overall I calculate the price from hours. One way to charge is from preparation till off loading the truck, including the sleeping time and expenses(food?, maybe gas price to when I'm going with my own car? my equipment price certainty!). I have some hours free time in the day because there's nothing on the main stage. I'd be very happy if you could explain to me for what I should charge them.

Sorry about stupid question

I always find it tricky to work out - especially if its your first job, generally I quote them a price on what think is reasonable for a day or two's skilled labour and pre prep, show them the workings out and why it is that figure and exactly what they get if it goes over time wise or they need more equipment then explain that you will need paying for it. Expenses is also a good idea, check the tma or bectu sites and see how much they think a days living is, the AA recons 40p a mile is about right, if you pop all these into a contract then they cant quibble. Im not sure if it is worth while but you could try calling and getting quotes from local hire or events companies and base a profit on that. overall be polite, tidy, punctual - i.e. you start work at 9 not turn up then! - and helpful and you will et the contract over and over again.

Andy

TMA/Bectu rates

I also suspect the price for a job in estonia can't be compared with the same job in the uk - can't you find other people who have done the job and find out what they got?

Paul you have misunderstood me. I think it's my fault (I can't express myself in English very well). I don't wanna know how much to ask from them, I wanted to know for what (sleeping, eating, free time, and so)

It also depends on who you are working for. A public school who is bringing you in to light their little dance show in the gym which the PFA fundraised all the money for, will not be able to pay you a hundred pounds however if it is a large company wanting you to light the band for their christmas do which is a major event on their callendar, you could probably get away with a much higher price. If you are just starting out, then a lot of what you will do will really be throwing away time dirt cheap for experience. It is the experience that will get you into the bigger, better payed jobs.

Basically, work out the minimum your time is worth - for me, it used to be AU$15 an hour. Then work out how much time you will spend on the job. For example, if you estimate it will take: 2 hours organising hire, 1 hour driving to and from the venue with gear etc, 2 hours setting up, 4 hours gig, 1 hour striking, and 2 hours prep, that is 12 hours - so about AU$180 would be the minimum I could do the job for and NOT loose money.

Then again, if I was doing the show gratis and they offer to pay me a bit of dosh I usually say paymeny in alcohol is the best method.... and it keeps mister tax man away from your hard earned beer money.

I normally work to an hourly or a daily rate - the Daily Rate being 10 x the Hourly rate. Daily rates give everyone flexibility in case the job schedule slips and everyone knows what they are either paying or receiving. Also worth setting a minimum fee - just so that it is worth your while getting to the job.

As to expenses, that will vary depending on the job and location. If you are away from home and need to sleep over, accomodation and evening meals should be provided and paid for. This time would not be chargeable but if you are on a daily rate it doesn't really matter.

Steve

A public school who is bringing you in to light their little dance show in the gym which the PFA fundraised all the money for, will not be able to pay you a hundred pounds.

From what I've heard, a public (private) school will do that fine. A state school will have the trouble.

A public school who is bringing you in...

From what I've heard, a public (private) school will do that fine. A state school...

Mac is in oz. Over there, public schools are the state funded ones. It's our British naming system that is messed up.

Archived