splitters

ThomJ

Ok, I mentioned this on the thread of uplighters.

I have seen (and contemplated doing) parcans (uplighters) and pinspots wired up with two 16 amp c forms 1 input and 1 output so that they can be "daisy chained".

What does the blue room think of this practice?

Thom

"Gonna leave it on the floor see if the dog licks it up"

As long as the person doing the connecting (or organising the connecting, I suppose) is competent enough with electricty to ensure that the total system does not exceed the safe limits of the supply, there is absolutly no reason why not.

The problem with splitters is that it makes it easier for someone who doesn't know what they are doing to overload the system. But used properly, there's no problem.

That's why I can never fathom these constant rearrangements of the sockets on Grelcos (Changed twice in my memory). I can't really see what they were trying to achieve in the real world.

This does go back in someway to the Marqee situation - marquee companies (tent builders) often supply inadequate power you have to check what is available.

It is often amusing when they ask for 30 uplighters and you can only give them 20 and have to explain that they don't have enough power.

Bryson, perhaps a little :unsure: but...

{snip}I can never fathom these constant rearrangements of the sockets on Grelcos (Changed twice in my memory). I can't really see what they were trying to achieve in the real world.

Are you saying that the re-arrangement of the socket configuration is supposed to prevent misuse? I've seen three version. (with the grelco plugged into an underlying socket which is at 0degrees)

the oldest design (head to head) presents one socket at 0degrees and the other at 180degrees

The next design (side by side) presents two sockets at 0degrees

The latest ones (side by side with a twist) presents two sockets both at approx 30degrees

Are these the designs you describe and how are they supposed to prevent misuse? Or is there an older design which was more error prone?

While I agree with your point about competence, I can't help but feel that this shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether such a device is safe or not.

This arrangement should be perfectly safe provided that the circuit to which it is connected is protected appropriately, and, as it should be, that makes this device safe. Of course, the device can only therefore be as safe as the installation it is connected to.

You'll forever get people who overload 4-way adaptors and the like, it's just something we have to live with, and protect people from themselves with proper upstream protection.

Slightly Off Topic:

I second what Bryson says about the unnecessary rearrangement of grelco sockets. I don't like the new diagonal ones, they don't stack as neatly.

I heard the ones where the two earth pins face each other were phased out as you couldn't use them with the wall-wart type transformers that are supplied with everything now (presumably this was in South Africa?). I don't see what was wrong with the ones which had the two sockets facing the same way down though.

[Edit] Thinking a little more about it, I suspect the latest permutation might be an attempt to slightly reduce the amount of material (brass?) used in manufacturing the grelcos, or am I just being cynical? Build 'em cheap and nasty!

Tom

I think Bryson means that the shape of grelcos prevents more than one being plugged into a socket, as if they weren't designed as they are, it would be possible to plug grelco into grelco and therefore overlod the original socket. Haven't actually got one here right now to experiment, but I suppose they are designed so that when one is plugged into another, the othe plug on the underneath grelco becomes un-usable... preventing ten grelcos being plugged into one socket for example

I think

John

That's exactly what I meant. And my understanding was that the move to side-by-side configuration was to cover the socket in the dimmer next to it, were it plugged straight into a dimmer. All rather pointless to my mind.

That's exactly what I meant. And my understanding was that the move to side-by-side configuration was to cover the socket in the dimmer next to it, were it plugged straight into a dimmer. All rather pointless to my mind.

Ah, that makes sense. It's a real shame the new ones don't allow you to plug more than one into a socket.

You can always use a short 15A lead to get it away from the pack socket of course. Obviously this does come up because you can run four 500w minuettes, 3x S4 Parles etc etc which needs more than two sockets potentially without exceeding the rated capacity

It is such a shame that modern life has to work to the lowest common denominator.

We have to look at the least capable person who might ever use something and ensure they can't do something wrong. I'd say that over 90% of the people who use grelcos know how much current can be drawn from a dimmer and will ensure this isn't exceeded. But because a few people might get it wrong and (heaven help us) take a trip or a fuse which could cost upwards of £2, the rest of us have to work with equipment which gets in the way of the next dimmer in the rack.

Such is life. :mods:

Ok, I mentioned this on the thread of uplighters.

I have seen (and contemplated doing) parcans (uplighters) and pinspots wired up with two 16 amp c forms 1 input and 1 output so that they can be "daisy chained".

Thom

"Gonna leave it on the floor see if the dog licks it up"

Suprised not been mentioned before but Lewden make the T Line for this very purpose:

http://www.lewden.net/lewden/newproducts/Tlinerewirable.htm

Just make sure that your cable is 2.5mm2 from plug to socket, even if it's only 1.5mm2 from plug to fixture - if you see what I mean. The advantage over the lewden ones is that you can make the 'daisy chain cable' longer to allow easy rigging without needing 16A extension cables each time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived