Automatic Voting

DSA

I am coordinating a medium sized AGM at university (perhaps about 400 people). The client wondered if there is a way of speeding up and increasing the accuracy of the voting. At the moment, people vote by raising their hand, and when it is not obvious a manual count takes place. This obviously takes quite a while.

Can anyone think of a better system? (given that there is not much money available for this). The current way may indeed be the best way of doing it, but I said that I would look into it.

Thanks,

David

I doubt that you'll find anything more sophisticated on a minimal budget...

One thing we have used (I work in a University IT department) is a thing called "Personal Response System", or PRS. Each student is given a device which looks a bit like a remote control handset, and they use this to "feed back" to the lecturer, with results being displayed in real-time. It's a bit like the "ask the audience" thing on "Millionaire". We have used them in venues accomodating several hundred people.

I'm not suggesting that it would be cost-effective to buy one of these systems just for your application, but if you already had one within your institution, it may be possible to re-deploy it.....

http://www.gtcocalcomp.com/interwriteprs.htm

Bruce.

Edit: or maybe some sort of "voting via SMS" system?

Yes it sounds like that would be a bit out of the question in this instance, but would be an ideal solution.

I guess its counting hands then! Will just have to think of a way of doing that quicker and a bit more precisely.

David

Not entirely seriously, how about a "clapometer", just like "Opportunity Knocks"? Or am I showing my age again?

On second thoughts, perhaps a "clapometer" with a student audience might have a completely different meaning..... :unsure:

Bruce.

Having been chief teller a couple of times for this kind of meeting, I have also thought about ways to improve it on a small budget. I'm afraid you could be stuck with manual counting of hands. One way we speeded things up was to have a number of tellers each with their own specific area to count. They each report back to the chief teller with their count and a calculator gives the result quite quickly.

Sorry, but that's the best we came up with

Dave J

Would SMS voting be viable? A GSM modem and a bit of programming know-how is all you need :mods:

A potential problem would be 'flooding' where there is a large amount of data coming in and the phone or software is unable to cope. What if a message got delayed for a few minutes during a crucial vote?

Just my £0.02

Dave J

completely :mods:, but we've recently done the tech for a couple of student AGMs which were split across 2 sites, 5 miles apart, with a videoconf link between them....

Worked well - at least in the technical sense!

Bruce.

I cannot rember what the system but I have seen a system in use where every member of the aduance has a paddle/flag one side green one side red, there is a cam somewhere nere the stage looking accross the whole aduance, this is connected to a pc and when asked the pc tells you the % of red/green

ian

this is connected to a pc and when asked the pc tells you the % of red/green

A bit like on ready steady cook then!

Anyhow, I believe the system of counting last year was as Dave says above, with lots of counters each with a specific area.

Whilst a solution, I think many (perhaps most) people would object to having to pay to cast a vote at an AGM.

Thanks for the ideas,

David

You could use a combinaton of SMS voting and internet voting.

Those with laptops/pdas etc could bring them and log on to the local (wifi) intranet and vote that way. Being a university, it probably wouldn't be too hard to find a server and a wifi access point for the venue but it would depend how many laptops were available. All without laptops could text their votes.

Archived