Tech Specs and riders

Bryson

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lightnix

Yes it is, very much OT :P

Please keep on-topic and refrain from mentioning large companies (with big legal departments) in anything that might possibly be construed as a negative light.

Thanks ;)

I worked with a band once whose rider requested 3 clean white towels, when asked where they would like these placed, the response was 'what towels'?

Have you ever had an artist who did not know what was on their rider?

I also heard of one singer on Blue Peter, who demanded that there be no stairs between her dressing room and the studio - the last guest to ask for that were the Daleks.

We once had a band who's lead singer requested a small lego toy to be provided in his dressing room. The theory was that by the end of a big national tour he'd have tons of lego to bring home to his young son. Apparently we were the only venue on the tour to actually provide this so I presume his son was rather dissapointed!

Have you ever had an artist who did not know what was on their rider?

Yup, all too often.

The rider SHOULD be a useful information tool...but all too often it can be an ego trip written by a "hanger on" with no reference to the band/artist...or an exercise in "cut and paste" because somebody thinks they need a rider...but doesn't understand what it is.

A couple of "hanger on" stories from my TV day job:

We once had Steve Guttenburg in the studio for a satellite two way. The rider from his management office specified a cold platter, to include spicey chicken wings. When Guttenburg got there he asked...more in sorrow than anger..."why do I always get chicken wings...I can't stand the things". He was amazed to see the paperwork from "his people".

Another time we had Kate Blanchett in and the rider said she'd only eat vegetarian sushi. We duely found vegetarian sushi...only to find it was her management agent (i.e. the person who sent the rider) who wanted sushi. Blanchett raided the crew's chocolate digestives.

At the other end of the scale, Michael Caine. No special requests at all..and when there was a break he offered to go to Starbucks and buy coffees for everyone...including the runner who's job it was to get Caine coffee! A true gentleman!

Bob

I also heard of one singer on Blue Peter, who demanded that there be no stairs between her dressing room and the studio - the last guest to ask for that were the Daleks.

I don't think it was Blue Peter, I believe the show was Top of the Pops and the quote was 'Ms Houston does not do stairs' aaah Witney, bless her

• 4 weeks later...

I got a rider 2 hours before a show for a laser company, it said (I had to deal with it all),

Stage left 1x125amp 3 phase/ 22mm water /drain

Stage center 1x125amp 3 phase/ 22mm water /drain

Stage right 1x125amp 3 phase/ 22mm water /drain

F.O.H 13amp

2x large bags of minstrels

MAD ???????

It's only a tech spec in a very loose kind of sense, but I found this very amusing!

if you've ever seen the sisters of mercy live at any point over the last 25 years, that's actually a very accurate lighting spec - and funny!

they are THE goth band. how else should you light a goth band?

backlight, floorlight and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of smoke. that's it. You can even make the backlight o/w as long as it doesn't touch the band!

Frankly there should be more of it.

just remembered!

Foreheads In A Fishtank lx spec came as (pretty much)

o/w and 181. nothing from the front.

and lots of smoke - we don't want to be seen.

or The Fall - light the stage where the singer is not!

I had one last year which requested the theatre to supply a small Palm Tree. I assume how ever the person who wrote unable to supply on the rider did not tell the promoter beacuse a little tour manager was jumping up & down and shouting about it.

Should that really be something a venue supplys. It had to be a real one not a artifical one.

Matt

Should that really be something a venue supplys. It had to be a real one not a artifical one.

Never seen something on the scale of a small palm, but I have seen many riders that request plant life. A good relationship with the local nursery really helps. There are companies that do hire plants out for events - and I would not be suprised if they did keep a few palms on hand.

Archived