Labling Flightcases

3guk

So how do you guys do it ?

Im thiking of buying a brother label maker or something along those lines so I can identify flightcases.

Anyone got any really good ways, this is just so I can identify them, not hire or anything.

So how do you guys do it ?

The best method will be to get proper Flightcase Labels, so that you can just write on it with a Sharpie the contents and wipe off whenever (or never!). Le Mark are one manufacturer, and also make some generic ones so you don't have to get hundreds printed.

The other option which I've seen other companies do (Bandit Lites for one) is to just print off labels and stick directly onto the flightcases (With a bit of laminate stuck over the top so they last the tour), just looks like a standard A4 (might be a bit smaller) self adhesive label fed throught a colour printer (They then put the tour/job logo onto it, impresses the end clients!). As your not a hire company it might be worth this option, then you can put a custom logo and print the labels making them a bit neater.

Cheers

Dan

Indeed. There's a lot of mileage in a Sharpie and some gaffa. One of my local hire companies doesn't have flightcase labels as such (apart from their logo screen-printed onto some of their cases) - all flightcases being prepped for jobs are marked up with coloured gaffa tape and a marker pen. It's cheqp, it's easy to remove at the end of a job, the label can be as small or large as they need, and when there's more than one job being prepped at once the colour of the tape on the box is a very good way of determining which case belongs to which job!

Put me down for gaffa and sharpie.

I would not bother with a brother lable maker. The lables have a tendancy to fall off when you want them to stay on, and stick when you want to remove them. This is usually because they like a nice flat, clean, preped surface before you stick it on. Add to that the fact that most lable makers are 1/4" wide - you really do need to be up close to read them. And what I often do is use a different colour gaff tape depending on location (ie red is FOH, blue is P etc), which makes life even easier.

I Agree , don't bother with the Brother label maker, Ive tried it before and they just end up falling off, and yes you do need to be up close to read them.

Official Colour code =

- Red - Stage Left

- Yellow - Stage Right

- Green - FOH

- Orange - On stage

Hope ive helped

John Partridge

Official Colour code =

I never actually knew there was an 'official colour code', however yours looks a lot like what I use (what I said up a bit was just from the top of my head). I also have a blue for biobox. I knicked a set of laminated colour cards from a venue I worked at that never used them for when I am working with newbies too. It means they would have to be idiots to screw it up.

Guest lightnix

I wouldn't bother with a label maker either, the labels are too small and not sticky enough.

Re-writable flight case labels are OK up to a point, but again, the writing can wind up a bit small and they do get tatty after a while.

I've always been a gaffa / marker man myself and mark the labels up in GREAT BIG WRITING, so that they can be read from a distance. If colour coding is needed, I double-up the gaffa width-wise and use coloured PVC around the edges. If it's a touring system, I'll protect the labelling with a layer of 2" clear PVC and prevent it from peeling with the addition of a few staples.

Also for touring, I've often marked up one side of a box and have even gone as far as labelling the underside, so that I can better see what's what, when it's tipped on its end in the truck.

Yep, Labelling the sides can be very useful! When everythings upturned and squashed up in the truck it's very useful to be able to see what's what and what's coming off.

If you use Gaffa tape then I would personally put some sticky-back plastic over it or similar to protect it!

As for another option between gaffa and proper flightcase labels you can get really small whiteboards (A5 size) that are about as thick as a piece of paper. Bung some carpet tape on the back and attatch to flightcase!

Sam

Archived