Martin ZR20 smoke machine

dick ropa

Hi, there.

Can anyone help me please. My old but trusted ZR20 came back from hire, and the Hirer had taken the thermal trip. To purchase a new one from RS is quite easy, but I wanted to ensure that nothing else had happened to the machine so I shorted the leads out that should have gone to the trip. I was expecting the chanber to heat, but alas no. So is there more to it than meets the eye? or has indeed something else been tampered with. I would really like either a circuit diagram, or if someone still has one of these, maybe they could take a peep inside and let me know whats going on with regards to the thermal trip.

Cheers Dick

From memory, JEM guns need 1.5v across the control circuit to heat up and then they increase smoke output from 1.5v to 10v, so it may be worth making sure that the (remote) control is plugged up and working properly. Failing that try giving JEM a call. Their service dept has done me proud in the past. They've even helped me build a remote over the phone when the one I was using got run over an hour before the show.

PM if you need the number.

Glyn

Have you asked the hirer what he did yet?

Surely that's the first port of call - and then requesting that they pay for the required repairs, done by a Martin service technician.

Hi, Problem is person who hired it said it did not work when he returned it, unfortunately we check all kit on its return to the depot after hire, but no actual proof that this was actually checked, hence no concrete proof.

From memory, JEM guns need 1.5v across the control circuit to heat up and then they increase smoke output from 1.5v to 10v, so it may be worth making sure that the (remote) control is plugged up and working properly. Failing that try giving JEM a call. Their service dept has done me proud in the past. They've even helped me build a remote over the phone when the one I was using got run over an hour before the show.

PM if you need the number.

Glyn

Hi Cheers for that Glynn, no its not the remote, the thermostat has definately been removed as it has completely gone and just the bare cables left. I did ring tech' at Martin, they gave me the spec of the thermostat, but the model is too old for them to stock. I suppose if I cannot get it sorted I will go back and see if they have a circuit diagram they will forward.

Archived