The Cheapest Possible Light Rig

Rich newby

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_botex_ddp405_...k_prodinfo.html , would surley be more sensible for a school - you don't really even need a desk with it!

Stand alone is just chase, and connector is continental shuko , want the UK variant connector;

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-171187.html

also coming soon from CPC as Soudlab branded variant, see lighting controllers topic.

Not toughest things for use in school enviroment though.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although others such as Paul have mentioned some lights having the beam of a garden floodlight, I would imagine that we need to review the use that these lights will be put to. First Schools IIRC cover ages 4-9/10. Therefore for most of their drama productions and nativity plays, a general wash so you can see the stage is normally all that is required.

As a side idea, it could be worth the OP / his mum contacting organisations like Newcastle College who run a Tech course and are (I am informed by a friend who did the course a few years ago) always after interesting problems to set their students - a lighting rig for under £300 is very similar to one they were set a few years ago.

[off topic]

The purpose of the project was to focus students onto the essentials by limiting a budget right down.

[/off topic]

Other than that I would suggest contacting some of the High Schools in th e area, many of whom have lights sat on LX bars in their theatres / halls for most of the year doing not that much. If the first school were only requiring them for a few days per year, and care was taken not to clash with productions at the High School, I am sure than an amicable arrangement could be found.

Ok unless I have missed something, where were movers suggested?

Oh, you're right, I misread this;

I think you will find the Behringer dimmer are not available in the UK . Have a look at the I-color 3 and I-color 4 available from prolight . Basically they are 3 colour and 4 colour DMX heads that will also sound to light . They are small and compact and use 500w halogen lamps of the type found in security lights . Add a small DMX controller with a couple of heads should come in at under £300 .

Well, replace "movers" with "intelligent fixtures".

300 quid is hellishly tight - we spent more than that on safety bonds a few months back. Still, it must be possible to cobble something together!

I maganged to get 4 PAR 56s including bulbs, wiring, gel holders etc for £130 - £32.50 each - depending on how many you needed, you could get a good number of PARS within your budget but still would not be able to dim. I have worked like taht in the past, straight off of an extension block and find that as long as 1 set of lights go off at the same time as the next come on (no blackout) it looks ok.

And is about as dangerous as you can get, short of bare copper ends.

13A plugs are not designed to be used as switches.

You NEED actual dimmers. Not necessarily dimming dimmers, as a switchpack may be usable, but anyway.

You can get fairly cheap 4 and 6-way desks with the dimmers built in - this may be your best bet, but it's not extendable.

The other issue is where you're going to hang the lights - T-bars alone eat almost your entire budget.

Oh, I think he understands.

13A plugs are not designed to be used as switches.

IMO, if he had snipped the quote, the context would have been lost. $0.02 though...

And agreed- safe rigging is very important. If you're going to do it, it should be done right. And stands/T bars are expensive, as said above.

Switch on a 13A socket should be rated to interrupt its full load with a reasonable service life.

Switching lamps on from cold isn`t kind to them though, reason why some dimmers have pre-heat on them, cold filament resistance lower than hot one, means higher in rush current with more stress on filament. Soft starting lamp with dimmed power or preheating them in chases lessens shock to lamp and extends life.

this thread is running into my pet hate area.

Are we talking about lighting for drama or lighting for illumination?

If it is simply for illumination then switches are fine, in fact, why bother with pars at all, a few flu fittings with gel wrapped around them might do.

On the other hand, if it is for drama - then dimming is essential (and essential again if it is for an exam at some time - the word dimmer often appears!)

Archived