The Cheapest Possible Light Rig

Rich newby

As your accountant doesn't see the point in 'wasting' money, perhaps it may be not be worthwhile to buy the cheapest kit as it may fall apart within the year and require more money simply to maintain it. Spending more initially on decent kit does tend to have its advantages.

Just a thought...

S.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly , I dont think that homemade equipment is going to last long when H&S (Health and Safety) arrive at the school.

Secondly I would rather spend more money and get something which is more usable and safer for children to use, also I dont think at this stage in time kids would prefere to have something that they can mess with ( Desk) not sit infront of a computer ( my opinion )

John Partridge

I think the old addage rings true here:

"If a job is worth doing, its worth doing well"

You cant get a decent stage lighting rig of any description for £300 - its just not realistic. It would be better to spend a year raising some money and do it properly then...

Cheers

I think you will find the Behringer dimmer are not available in the UK . Have a look at the I-color 3 and I-color 4 available from prolight . Basically they are 3 colour and 4 colour DMX heads that will also sound to light . They are small and compact and use 500w halogen lamps of the type found in security lights . Add a small DMX controller with a couple of heads should come in at under £300 .

Just to add another point, in my view its worth spending more money on something which is going to last longer, Have more features and overall get more use than going for a cheep alternative just for 1 show.

I say spend abit more money and get a setup which will allow you to use the equip more often.

John Partridge

Have a look at the I-color 3 and I-color 4 available from prolight . Basically they are 3 colour and 4 colour DMX heads that will also sound to light . They are small and compact and use 500w halogen lamps of the type found in security lights . Add a small DMX controller with a couple of heads should come in at under £300 .

Actually, don't.

Not because these units are good/bad/indifferent, but because you will be MUCH better off with normal generics. Nice fresnels (and maybe even profiles) if you can get them, but even parcans can do quite a lot in a pinch.

A generic light needs very little in the way of maintenance - keep it clean & dry, keep the wiring and lamp base in good condition and you're laughing.

When it goes wrong, it doesn't take much in the way of expertise and tools to fix it.

A moving light, well, moves. It's got all the maintenance of a generic, PLUS all the maintenance of a complex piece of mechanical and electronic equipment, and when it goes wrong it's very difficult and expensive to repair.

Given that this is a school with an unreasonably small budget, maintenance will have an even smaller budget, and probably won't run to much past the PAT test.

..... and these things have the beam 'quality' of a garden floodlight - not that theatrical. Old real lighting equipment always gives better results.

Floods are great for illumination, but only produce bland unexciting lighting in my view. Clever colour changing floods are still floods.

On the Behringer dimmer front, it'sinteresting that they don't seem able to sort the problem - it's been quite a while now since the UK was removed from the marketing territory?

my god! no matter what the budget someone will suggest movers.

Anyway, have you talked to any other local schools about borrowing equipment? or your local town hall? Basically go to any nearby public building with some theatre lights and beg whatever you can off them!

I think the main thing is to convince the Governors and everyone else you can that it would probably be safer to either wait a while and icrease the budget or I crease the budget straight off, this way they will end up spending less in the long run, good kit = low maintence/fixing costs bad kit=high cost of maintenece + fixing cost

Also if the school cant afford to give you a bigger budget what are the chances they will be prepared to spend £200+ fixing it?

so perhaps if they cant increase it now do as gnomatron says and try to borrow from people and wait a year or so to fund raise and get good quality kit.

so:

£1000 for good kit that will last 10/20 years +£200 maintence/PAT testing costs ect over the 10/20 years +£1300 for 10/20 years

OR:

£300 for not so good kit,unreliable-Keeps breaking+£500 matenece that they cant afford so the kit becomes useless, WASTE OF MONEY!

my 2 cents

FG

Ok unless I have missed something, where were movers suggested? I think that terralec system may be worth a look. I have also noticed that the behriger dimmer packs have gone off the thomann website, I think they have expanded the range of there showtec dimmers. I also think that the idea of buying some gear, year by year is one of the best options, I think the school will be happy to do this. What are your general thoughts on those icolour DMX lights?. I will admit I was thinking of getting a couple for myself!

How about these

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-18677...75bbd0c04c23f7d

:blink: Joke

---------------------------------------------

What size hall have you got at the school? That really is a tough budget, even if it was for a hire - but for purchase - it's definatley worth trying to get some more mpney, and the idea of buying year by year is definatley the most sensible option.

The behringer dimmer pack has been taken off Thomann - I can't see the point in spending that much on a Behringer pack, when this, http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_botex_ddp405_...k_prodinfo.html , would surley be more sensible for a school - you don't really even need a desk with it!

Archived