Sailing boat

Hi there

I have an upcoming job, where I have to make a rowing boat go down a raiser. It's 8 meters long and the highest point is 1.5 meter and lowest 0.5 meter.

The boat has to sail down nice and slowley down and the moves from side to side would be nice if it was the actors creating them so that they become as normalley as possible.

The pull downways will have to be created with wire/robe/engines ect. any possibility is open.

I'm planning on covering the raiser with cold smoke/dry ice to cover all the stuff pulling the boat, and then light it up in the best way to make it look like water.

Does anyone have any good ideas how to solve this task? Is open for any suggestions you might have! That goes for the boat and for the dry ice/cold smoke! :)

Thanks

Kenneth

How heavy is the boat and what is the riser made of, is it hollow?

Did this with a car once, however it required using an industrial conveyor belt on top of the riser and a hell of a lot of safety rope on the car attached to a complex rope system. The health and safety people came for an inspection during the show and made us add lots of safeties because of the risk that the car might slip. (We did however pass inspection!)

We found the conveyor in an industrial scrapheap.

Others might be able to suggest more theatrical systems ours was very noisy and required a great deal of 'mood music' to cover up the sound of the motor!

Good luck

Is it a real boat or a prop boat.

A prop boat offers you the opportunity to build just two sides and fit wheels (as per a skateboard) in quantity to suit the boat and load. A real boat will have 6" or so below the waterline and that takes a lot of hiding.

So far I'm not aware if it'll be a prop or a real, but you're right in saying that quiet a lot of it would be below water!

One thing I forgot to mention is that it's not going down in a straight line, but a little curvey line - to give them more time "on the water".

Thanks for your reply's so far!

Kenneth

Archived