Baffling Instructions

Scouse Dave

How about this for a set of instructions:

Poole Lighting Limited for a sheet of instructions-

"3. The switched main live is generally a single black wire and this is connected to the brown wire(s) on the fitting. On a wall light this should be a single red wire. The neutral is generally two black wires and these are connected to the blue wire(s). On a wall light this should be a single black wire. The mains earth wire(s) must be connected to all green/yellow wire(s) or earth terminal on the fitting. When completed ensure that there are no bare or loose strands of wire exposed, and cover all exposed areas of terminal blocks with insulation tape."

Source: BBC

I feel sorry for the people who have to follow that...

Dave M

indeed its very common for the live return from the switch to be a black (or blue) wire.sparkys being tight wads a) wont buy drum of twin red(or brown) cable just to use for switch drops (plus its a pain when the apprentice grabs the wrong drum and wires the entire lighting circuit in twin red :D ), and b)" forget" to buy some red (or brown) sleaving to identify the live,insulation tape is often used,but after a while it tends to fall of the cable.

when I was on the tools it was fairly common (especially on a bank holiday) to get a phone call from a someone who's put a new light fitting in and it keeps going bang when they turn it on

I'm reminded of a call I took from a friend some time last year.

"I've fitted a new light in the kitchen. It works, but it won't turn off."

After a bit of explaining as to how lights are wired up, he called me back to say it was all working.

Later on that evening, when it had gone dark, my phone rang again.

"It turns on and off now, but the upstairs lights will only work when I've got the kitchen light on."

Well, the t*sser who wired my place has done all of the above, plus used the g r e e n core for live as well (albeit with red tape round the core) and to save running more cable there a neutral patch wire from one rooms light circuit to another, as I found out the hard way whilst changing the wall lights... Sometime I hate professionals - your average D I Y er would never be clever enough to do these things.

Back on topic, I saw this posted on another forum - this is for a battery rechargable camping light,,,

Points for Using Attentien

Charge

1.Don't charge in parallel connection way, or the kellary will shorten its service life.have no Iternatioe but to charge two kellalies together.

2.Don't charge the bellary in a henmeticlly-sealed chamker,or in a bag whith hasno exhaust pipes.

Discharge

The New lamp once turns on 2-3 hours later,the light Becames dark, it must be charge. The first time of charge must be enough to 12 hours to prote ct the capacitance's life and lengthen the lighting time.

1.Don't clean it or its case with organil soluent.

2.Don't install the bellary arocend the theicgs which may emit heat or fire.

Other

1.the tenperture in storeroous should be kefween kelow twenty and forty degree.

2.when the bellary is sfored,it should be charged once every six mouths

3.Don't make it short circuit.

4.Clean with water soon if your sken or dothes are tainted

Archived