Pop Idol

Beacon

Hi I'm a budding young lighting designer and I was wondering if anyone knows who has designed this year’s POP IDOL lighting and where it is filmed? I’m looking for work experience for Lighting of big TV shows and Concerts, anywhere along the Birmingham to Euston train line. This being because I am 15 almost 16 and of course can't drive. I’m not interested in pay of anything like that; I’m just looking to get experience in the October school holiday's (25th Oct - 2nd Nov). I am willing to travel by train and find a local hotel to stay in. I’m really interested in learning and expanding my experience and knowledge of Lighting.

Anyone got any help on POP IDOL or any other places they think I may find useful.

Thanks

Jay

Jay,

You could try all your local theatres, or ones near you on the train line (so Coventry, Birmingham etc) and see if they'd take you for work experience - they should do - and you'll then be able to see what goes on in fitups etc that will give you an even wider experience in what the lighting designer (and production electrician) does - i.e. CAD (Computer Aided Design), Focusing, Rigging, Problems with fitting shows into venues, Reprogramming - all stuff which is useful for LDs to know.

TV companies are a hell of alot more difficult to get into, so might not be such a good idea - but hey, if you find someone who can get you in there, then go for it!! :o

TBH, take anything you get - you will learn LOADS, even by watching, and there ain't nothing wrong with having a wide knowledge of what everyone does when your the LD.

HTH!

Stu

The first series (and I presume the second series) of Pop Idol were filmed at Fountain Television Studios in Wembley. Your best bet would be to give them a call and ask the Technical Manager nicely if you could arrange some work experience. Haven't been near there for a while, but they used to have a really good bunch of sparks who taught me a lot. I guess it's a bit of a lottery though with what they'll have happening over the October holiday.

If you wan't specifically concert stuff, it would be worth e-mailing concert LD's like Patrick Woodroffe and Vince Foster. You can find most of their sites on the net with a little bit of searching. I've done this and they were both very helpful.

Good luck!

If you're looking for work in Coventry, then please give me a shout off the main list and we'll see what we can arrange. I can't promise design work, (but its not impossible), but if you want to come and learn/play with what equipment does then feel free.

Glyn

yes, Pop Idol will be moving to Fountain Studios for the latter stages - as soon as the Winning Lines lottery series ends (it's going to use the double stage)

LD from what I remember is Al Gurden, amd rather a lot of gear from VLPS

regards

tim

When I was in Yr 11 I managed to get work experience at the BBC. It was really good! A show a day:

Monday- Blue Peter LD Martin Kempton

Tuesday- Later With Jools Holland LD James Campbell

Wednesday- The Standup Show LD Dave Gibson

Thursday- Watchdog LD James Campbell

Friday- Set up for Live and Kicking LD Rod Litherland

It was a really cool experience and I was very lucky to get it!

You've left it too late for the BBC though u need 2 apply about march, april time

Michael

Filmed at Teddington Studios, London.

POP IDOL Pop Idol returns to Teddington in September, the new series of Pop Idol returns to Teddington Studios in September. The producers are 19 and Thames. This exciting series utilises studios and other areas of the Teddington Studios site and goes live to both ITV channels.

Filmed at Teddington Studios, London.

POP IDOL Pop Idol returns to Teddington in September, the new series of Pop Idol returns to Teddington Studios in September. The producers are 19 and Thames. This exciting series utilises studios and other areas of the Teddington Studios site and goes live to both ITV channels.

You sure? I'm pretty sure the live finals are still at Fountain. Firstly, I don't think Teddington would be big enough, and secondly, I spoke to one of the ex-fountain guys at PLASA who told me they would be back at Fountain. I suspect the earlier stages were filmed at Teddington.

Mac500

When I was in Yr 11 I managed to get work experience at the BBC. It was really good! A show a day:

Monday- Blue Peter LD Martin Kempton

Tuesday- Later With Jools Holland LD James Campbell

Wednesday- The Standup Show LD Dave Gibson

Thursday- Watchdog LD James Campbell

Friday- Set up for Live and Kicking LD Rod Litherland

how did you manage that?? I asked bbc when I was in 10th year... many years ago (well 5 to be exact!) (I feel so old now!) and the said that "under no circumstances would they consider me ... because I was under 18" (presumably because of h&s etc... which is understandable!)

hmmmmm!

slightly miffed! :angry:

Archived