Using Cb Radios With An Hard Wired Can Network!

leesm

At our school we have a hard wired 'can' network with the base unit in our control box, (however this can be located anyway) My question is can we use CB radios (walkie talkies) with this system!? Thinking about it in my head (while at work!!) I thought if we got a phono to female XLR and plugged the 2 phono's into the phono output on one of the CB and then plugged this into the base unit! in theory this works, but would it, im going to try it. Any advice or anyone telling me it wouldnt work I would be grateful!! (** laughs out loud **) :o

I'm not too sure if it would work but, if you do try it make sure the XLR to phonos are connected the right way round (or prepare for a bang!!!)

The other option is what we have - One of the can firms makes a PMR to Hardwire gadget - basically, it is a belt pack that plugs into the in and out of our PMR's - meaning we have wired and wireless circuits...

Terry Tew sell it I belive, but it isn't cheep.

All normal headset systems work with a system where one audio 'wire' carries both your send and receive signals, a bit like a telephone. To use this with a walkie-talkie is not as simple as bodging a radio onto the hard-wired units.

A radio system is normally set to either transmit or receive, switch-over occuring when you push the button to talk. In proper set-ups you need two radio channels, one for listen and one for talk. To interface this you need a way of splitting the talk and listen from the cans circuit and to do this you need a 2-wire to 4-wire converter.

The only other way is to use a system where somehow you switch the walkie-talkie unit which is being used as a base-unit from receive (its normal mode to transmit, maybe with a voice operated switch).

I'm sure I've seen it on a show I've worked on - some crew had wireless packs (possibly Motorola I think) and the rest had bog standard headsets.

So it can be done, just god knows how it was...

Stu

I know someone who ran his canford cans with UHF motorola radios - he used the 2 wire to 4 wire convertor and tied up two radios permanantly - AFAIR he had the earpiece out of one radio into the input of the 4 wire and the mic input (with tx set on vox) on the other radio fed from the line out of the 4 wire (poss with a small matching transformer)

I can ask for more details if you are interested or he will be at PLASA on Tuesday?

James

Cheers guys. Yeah after thinking about it again I can really see the problems!!! But I like to idea of 4 wire and 2 wire. I am 90% sure I am going PLASA tomorrow with friends from college. So I can even ask this person, any idea what stall he is on?

Greetings,

Something to consider when permanently operating a walkie talkie on transmit. Is that most walkie talkie operate on a duty cycle ( usually 20% transmit 80% receive). permantly operating on transmit will eventually burn out the transmitter chip/ transistor (unless bolted to a larger heatsink)

Fleeting....

the tecpro radio interfac(ad91) is what ya need(if its a compatable system),pressing the the ptt on the radio will triger the call lights on the rest of the system and pressing call on the system will activate the fixed transmiter all for £200,works well with moterola handipro's

Archived