Strand GSX

Rich newby

Hi guys

At our drama studio we have a strand GSX desk. My problem is that sub 1 does not control channel 1 on the dimmer, in fact it controls nothing, channel 2 controls about 3 channels on the dimmer. How do I basically restart the desk, so sub 1 controls channel 1 on the dimmer, sub 2 channel 2 ect

I'm generally a sound boy so not 2 technical please.

Cheers

rich

You would not normally do this using a GSX. For individual channel control you would use the command [#] [ON] to put the channel at full intensity or [#] [@] [5] [0] to put the channel at 50% intensity (or any other value), where # is the channel number you want to control. However, it is possible (I think) to change the mode so that each fader works 1:1 with a channel. To do this press the display key until you see the setup softkey (underneath the LCD on the console, there are three keys, whose captions are displayed on the LCD), press this to go into setup. Use the cursors to navigate to the LBX MODE field (this may vary depending on the exact model of your console), then change this to either #x2 or #x1 (# will vary depending on how many faders your console has). If using the x2 option, then the desk will operate like a conventional 2 scene preset desk, where the top row of faders is the A preset and the bottom row of faders is the B preset. You can then fade between the presets using the preset faders. However, if you need to control more channels, then set the x1 option. Now you can use all the faders to control single channels. To use the desk like a two scene preset desk, you should do the following:

1. Make sure the A/B playback faders are right at the top.
  2. Set one scene on the faders.
  3. Move the playback faders to the bottom.
  4. Set the next scene. The scene on stage should remain as it was.
  5. Move the A/B faders back to the top. The scene on stage should fade to the new scene.

Phew.... that was a waffle and a half! Hope it makes sense...

Adam

as you're a sound boy, you are used to doing the same button press over and over again (a joke, honest), so if you don't have too many dimmers, then you couyld do this:

1 on remdim rec then push the sub1 bump button, then

2 on remdim rec then push the sub 2 bump button, then....... you got the idea, and you can do this quite quickly

OK, Another play allowed me to remove the dimmers from the subs, problem is now I do not know how to allocate them all again, I can use the wheel and the display to control them, that is probably the way to do it, it just takes longer to do, so when I'm doing it live it can get a bit tricky. So to summarise, I can control them using the number pad and the wheel. I have erased the original patch memory, but that has erased all of them, so if I put a lantern into dimmer channel 1 and put sub 1 up nothing happens, however if I go to it using the LCD display and the wheel, it works fine, so how do I program dimmer channel 1 to sub 1, dimmer channel 2 to sub 2 etc

Thanks for the help

Rich

I'm not a strand man so feel free to shoot me down in flames but surely the idea is that you use the slow and painfull access with the wheels and what have you in plotting then record the states you come up with to sub masters and or a cue stack? Even if you need to be really flexible playing it back live surely you more need states than indivaul channels on the subs? Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely here?

That's what I was thinking really, hence my comment in my first post. And with only 24(?) channels of dimming I would have thought that it would be quick to set up a few basic states and put them on subs.

But hey ho, just answering the OP's question. :)

As an extra comment here - much depends on the total number of dimmers you have. Although we don't use it much we have an old GSX at our theatre. We have 78 functioning dimmers - but a 50 channel GSX, When we do use this desk, we use the subs as primary building blocks - common stuff, and build the states from that, only using the keypad for stuff not in the 'pallettes'. The lack of desk channels means the patch gets changed fairly often, so although channels 1-12 rarely change, the rest do - making a look up list pretty important. Due to this, dimmer 22 may be desk channel 14. Having them on the subs saves a lot of work. With the correct number of channels it would be a lot easier and not require subs to be used in this way - although our op liked to work this way.

Archived