Working on Cruise Ships

wodp

Hi all - on holidays now for first time in 11mths or so (IT work placement, uni), so catching up on things I've not had time to look at or do!

I remembered the other day about an interest I had a few years ago in working on cruises as a sound/light op. I have more sound than lighting experience (6yrs of sound - presentations through to musicals), but have been doing club lighting jock duties occasionally at one of my part time jobs during termtime. I went on a cruise before starting uni with family, and got talking to the resident technician - he was telling me about it and it sounded really interesting.

It's probably something I'd think about seriously doing after university. The only problem is round my way chances to actively do proper live sound or lighting are rare cos there are a few companies doing all the work. I don't begrudge that - I know the chief ones personally and have nothing against them. Thing is, a lot of the things I've read state maintenance duties are involved. Seems sensible, but I don't have a great electronics background (couldn't look at a circuit diagram and instantly figure out what it's meant to do etc) - having done IT stuff I have a reasonable grasp of logic (from doing troubleshooting with that, and have done some programming).

Hopefully that's not too waffly, but basically I'm looking for suggestions as to what level of compentency would be expected on these jobs. The guy who gave me what I guess you'd call the inspiration for this said once you've done it once, assuming all goes well then you have a better chance of work as you're known for experience (or I'd guess for first job, you have the experience and your line manager of sorts could back you up). Anyone started from where I'm looking at and gone on to have an easy time of looking for other cruise gigs?

Any feedback welcome.

Thanks, Dave

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave,

You could do worse than look at the post labeled Brysons Blog.. Thats a fairly accurate outlook onto what ship life is like. I will say all cruiselines vary as to the atmosphere on board.

As far as competency goes, you do need to be able to work on your own and be able to handle a situation quickly and effectively, remember you could be 500 miles from civilisation. You do however (in most circumstances have exceptional back up in the field of repairs from the communications dept.

In short it s worth doing for the experience. Just make sure you know your stuff.

It really isn't worth bulls****ing your way into (not that I'm saying you would) as it will only be you that gets hung out to dry when it all goes the shape of a pear!. If you say your not sure just ask they won't not employ you, they will probably just make sure you have a longer handover onboard so you are happy with it.

Again it is worth doing and you do have some excellent times out there, but its not all "plain sailing" (Pun Intended) Bryson had a few experiences that were of the less than pleasant side of things, (Hence the reading his Blog) I got lucky and enjoyed all of it until I got bored with it.

That is a brutally honest opinion, Don't take offence I just don't believe in beating around the bush and all that.

Hope it helps

Kind Regards

Andy.

Yes, yes, it's me...

You're too kind, Andy.

Anyway, it very much depends on which level you want to go on at. It does vary from line to line, but the very lowest jobs (we would call them production assistants) were generally taken from other countries (mainly Phillipino, some Indian, some Mexican) so they're not really available to UK folks. The next step is Stagecrew, who are expected to have some training and know thier way basically round most kit. It sounds like this is the level you'll be looking at. The next level is Assistant Production managers (generally with specialities in sound, lx or automation), then Production Managers who run an entire venue, then Senior Production managers who are in charge of the production throughout the ship. The last job was the one myself and Andy (I think) had. The actual names vary from line to line, but the jobs are much the same.

Interms of the technicalities, they're always looking for people so if you're reasonably sensible and skilled, you should be ok getting a stagecrew job.

The maintenance part is pretty overblown. The comms department generally have every spare known to man and a couple of electronics engineers to boot. All you need to know is what the thing should do if it was working properly!

What you do have to remember is the wider way in which the job affects you. Until you get to Production Manager, you'll share a cabin with another guy who does the same job as you, almost certainly without a window. You'll work for about 12 hours a day, Every day, on average.

The atmosphere on board varies from line to line, and also from ship to ship. I was lucky (and unlucky) to have a very relaxed (but strangely still high-scoring!) ship the first time I went out, so the second ship came as a bit of a shock.

My best piece of advice is this: The cruise industry seems to attract two types of people: Really, really amazingly brilliant people who you will keep in contact with, and complete, utter arseholes who you would gladly stab in the eye with a pencil. And no-one inbetween.

In the end, I stopped doing it, partially because of a personal problem, but mostly because I [ :(] fell in love [/ :(] and wanted to stay here, not bugger off for 6 months at a time. If it weren't for that, I would still be out there. I have no regrets whatsoever that I did it.

I say do it for at least one or two contracts and see what you think.

Never, ever agree to extending your contract. Trust me on that one.

Bryson wrote the blogs Bryson knows. BUT others on the forum also know. All criuse lines are different and offer and expect different standards.

Get some experience then go for it before you want to settle down with House/mortgage/partner etc as they are solo postings.

cruise ships, you will love it or hate it.

its in your face 24/7 you cant go home, you cant get away from people.

but its an experience of a life time, did a 6 month contract and then did what bryson did, and got married.

be careful of the agents though some charge a fee some don't.

did I regret it no.

did I enjoy it yes

some boats are dry ie no beer, some aren't.

get used to sharing a shoebox with a compleat stranger, and prey he she is not a compleate tw@

but go for it, you WILL regret it if you do not

As somebody currently on a cruise ship I though I'd add my tuppence.

Reading your profile, I'd say you'd be more likely to get a job as a stage staff to start with. I know the company I work for would expect you to have a couple of years professional experience before they would consider you for a tech job.

If you want to be a tech, becoming a stage staff could be a faster route. Once you get on board you could train to be a lounge tech (for example), and request a transfer. Normally they won't do this until the completion of a contract (6 months).

Royal Caribbean techs do not share a cabin, but the stage staff do.

As for technical knowledge you don't really need to be able to understand a circuit diagram, but you do need to know common technical issues, and how to troubleshoot them, and hopefully fix them (e.g. what the different error messages on a lighting fixture mean). Most of what I've learned over the years has come from practical experience, although an ability to understand the manual always helps! I'm sure you'll agree that's normally not to difficult....

If you're still worried about this aspect, a lounge tech job should be more suited to you. It's up to the light tech (like myself), or the sound tech to solve any major equipment issues.

If you're interested check out The Stage online recruitment section, and from time to time the UK hiring partner for RCCL, (a lady called Wendy Heron) will advertise for new recruits. Oh, and there's no charge.

I did two weeks work experience at a theatre post-gcse, but they hosted visiting productions in the two weeks I was there, and in the case of the rocky horror show they brought their own FULL rig! Which at the time did annoy me.

Also, what does a lounge tech and stage staff do? Not seen that listed on the handful of sites I've looked at.

Also, what does a lounge tech and stage staff do? Not seen that listed on the handful of sites I've looked at.

That depends on who you work for, and what size ship you are working on. My experience on ships was all with Princess Cruises on the Grand Class ships. Having spent 5 years with them I obviously got to know the Production Staff on other lines such as Royal Caribbean Cruises, Disney, Holland America etc etc when we were in dock together. Princess is by far the most crew friendly out of the lines and generally pays very well. (although bear in mind you will get paid in American dollars and the exchange rate is crap at the moment.)

So what do the staff do, well heres a brief description as far as Princess go.. Other lines will vary slightly and you may get worked harder etc.

Other differences are things such as PAssenger privelages with Princess you get full access to everything as entertainment staff providing you don't take the P**s other lines you do not ie you can't use the pools or go to passenger bars etc.

Sun Class Ships

Senior Production Manager: Overall responsible for all technical production elements across all of the venues. Runs Lighting and Scenary automation in the Main theatre and calls any cues for stage.

Audio Engineer (Main Theatre) Normally the Senior sound guy onboard, primary responsibility is FOH mixing in the main house. Will act as back up and support for the other venues

Production Manager (Back Lounge) Responsible for all aspects of the back lounge and normally some of the outside deck events

NB the Production Manager in the VISTA Lounge pretty much will look after himself.

Stage Crew: (I think these are only on the Grand Class or larger ships) (Although this will sound bad it isn't) Normally 4 "Western Crew ie english American Canadian Aussie etc that are based in the main theatre and normally work as onstage crew during production shows. The reason for using western crew is due to the need for excellent communication skills during the show, should anything go wrong, if somebody forgets what stop means you could literally destroy half the ship. I kid you not I've seen it happen..

Production Assistants: Generally these are Philippino guys and will be the most hard working guys you will probably ever meet. Although the companies seem to underplay these guys they generally have mechanical and electrical engineering degrees coming out of their ears. Their responsibility is backstage during the shows or followspot, and then doing the show turnarounds. They also rotate with each other on band setups on deck etc etc.

Grand Class ships

The roles are very simialar but there are more staff

Senior Production Manager: Responsible for shipwide technical theatre activities. Calls the production shows in the main theatre

Back Lounge Production Manager: Responsible for the rear lounge, runs lighting and sound in the back lounge.

Senior Lighting Tech Based in the main front theatre, responsible for shipwide entertainment lighting (although most sub areas ie back lounge mid lounge, night club will generally look after themselves you do need to do occaisional maintenance in these areas.) The main responsibility is the main theatre, programming caberet shows and running them as well as running production shows (although these are timecode assisted)

Senior Sound Engineer As Lighting but for noise...

Mid Lounge Production Manager: Responsible for all events in the mid lounge as well as some of the ship wide activities such as the champagne waterfall and other such joyous occasions.

Crew Chief/Rigger/Automation Tech: Based in the Main theatre, the title kind of says it all. Responsible for running the stage automation during shows and for supervising the show turnarounds.

Stage Crew As above[/b]

Production Assistants: As above

Hope this helps answers your question.

Lighting Equpment used with Princess is all High End Systems, and Vari Lite.

Control is by Hog 2/Hog 3 and ETC Expression 3 (Pretty much across the fleet)

Sound varys according to the ship.

Automation used to be the Stage Tech Acrobat system although this has probably been upgraded.

Kind Regards

Andy

With Royal Caribbean you have the following positions backstage:

Stage & Production Manager: basically the boss, runs the theatre and stage manages the shows.

Sound tech: does the obvious in the main theatre, but is also responsible for the upkeep of the sound equipment shipwide.

Light tech: as above but responsible (amazingly) for lights.

Lounge tech: runs the sound and lights for the secondary lounges, pool deck etc. Normally this involves running the show for the various showbands.

Video tech: they film stuff for the TV, some shows and cruise in review video. As well as make sure the various TV channels work properly. Normally 2 per ship.

Rigger: only on larger ships.

Stage staff: backstage assistants, they also run the followspots for shows. On my ship we have 4, larger ones have more.

On the largest ships (Voyager class) they a second Stage and Production manager, sound tech, and light tech. They live in "Studio B" which is the ice rink. They run the ice shows, and also sometimes the ice is covered for cruise staff led events.

Most of the ships use Hog 2 or 3 for control, and sometimes an ETC desk as well. Martin Light Jockey is normally used in the secondary lounges and disco. Most of the intelligent lights are Martin.

You have access to all the passenger areas, but you do have certain restrictions (eg you can only drink in moderation).

As I already mentioned all these positions get there own cabin except for stage staff who have to share. But then they get to see the dancers naked so I don't feel to sorry for them!

Re: the getting some land-based experience: Someone (I forget who) told me that there's a theatre in leicester who are always looking for technicians - had a look at their site today so going to drop them a line in the morning to see if I can go see them. Depends if I can squeeze it in with 3rd year of uni, production manager of theatre company and being IT manager for a radio station too!

Dave

Hi

MY name is rob and I'm also in the same 'Boat!' I am looking to join a cruise ship. I have trained in Rigging,Technical stage Man and sound. I have been looking around the agency's for cruies ships and I am finding it hard to 'Fathom' out who are worth looking into and who are just cash funds. Do you guys know where I sould be looking?

Cheers All Rob

Cheers for getting back to me,

Would I just contact the head offices (I imagine these would be US contacts) And what level of admin would I address my C.v's to. Any more details that you think I am overlooking please fill me in.

Cheers Rob

p.s Really enjoying the blog

Cheers for getting back to me,

Would I just contact the head offices (I imagine these would be US contacts) And what level of admin would I address my C.v's to.  Any more details that you think I am overlooking please fill me in.

Cheers Rob

p.s Really enjoying the blog

Agree with Bryson here just go straight to the head offices and cut the agencies, they are generally a waste of time and to be honest you get a better deal going directly as I've heard stories of agencies taking a cut of pay etc etc.

A quick search on Google for the above names you will be able to find employment details and contacts.

The Contact address for Princess is:

Princess Cruises

Fleet Personnel Department

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355-4999

U.S.A.

Interviews are normally conducted in the uk. Just FYI.

Cheers

Andy

• 6 months later...

HI Guy's haven't really taken part much on the blue rooms BUT do pop into have a read every now and then.

By trade I'm a DJ and have had quite a bit of sound/lighting experience too.

Was told to pop on here and have a look for brysons blog as I have just got a job with Royal Cribbean as a DJ and leave on Friday 17th March to join the ship Enchantment of the seas.

As mentioned above in another post I got the job through Wendy Heron who is an agent for Royal Caribbean - and she's been great and unlike some of the horror stories your hear about cruiseship agents - she does not charge on the chance she might be able to get a ship.. to only let you down - she doesn't charge at all BUT she does perform and do as she said she would (get a ship).

really looking forward to my adventure. Right off to read brysons blog.

Regards

James H

Hopefully it's going to be a good 6 months - really excited and can't wait.

Archived