Working on Cruise Ships

wodp

The Carnival Experience.

Me- I'm a 20 year old guy from London. Studied stage Management at Guildhall before leaving at the end of my 1st year to accept a job offer from Carnival. I developed an interest in Automation after some lectures at Guildhall and some work experience at Chitty, Poppins and Producers and at Stage Technologies.

I was the Automation Op on the Triumph and had a great time. Did approximately 12 hours basic a week and then was expected to complete maintenance on my systems...ie, check hydraulics, clean set pieces etc.

Didnt have to work when I was in port and didnt have to work before load-in time at 5pm except to clear the stage at noon on sea days for dance rehearsals. My 12 hours a week consisted of about 7 hours of show operation on the Acrobat (4 seperate production shows), about 3 hours of Load ins/outs, and about 2 hours of basic stage management for fly-ons (alternating with the SM).

I shared a cabin (with no window) with the Stage Manager, this wasnt too much of a problem as I we were only really in there together when sleeping and at other times I was free to roam the ship (swimming pools, Pizza, Grill, deli, chinese and self serve buffet, gym etc.), permitted anywhere except guest cabins. You can ask for permission if your interested to visit the Engine Rooms/Bridge (although I never did that) and with permission I can eat in the main guest restaurants (generally done if yours or a friends family is on board). Could wear my own clothes around the ship as long as they met certain pretty unrestrictive guidelines and I had to wear my name badge all the time.

Shouldnt really go into pay as I'm still an employee of the company but lets just say that my monthly income was roughly in the middle of the figures mentioned in a previous reply for my first contract.

Going to the Miracle in June, so should be interesting to see how that compares with life on the Triumph but I'm hoping to have a great time again.

Its a really great way to 'pick up' an area of theatre as I was generally left to my own devices. While I was out there, I gained experience of dealing with a whole host of problems as I acquired a rig in pretty bad shape and was told to 'sit tight' til Dry Dock when it would all be fixed.

Well, Dry dock came and nothing got fixed, the time was spent cleaning and maintaining the light rig and replacing the VLIIs with VL 2500s so I decided to take it upon myself to figure out the problems and iron over the cracks with the bits that I had.

Some helpful advice from the office, several months of sweat and commitment and a shipment of old parts from the Destiny later, I'm glad to say I left the rig at pretty much 100% and I'm much better off for it.

Going back to the Miracle and learning a new system which I've never used before the Mechatronics 'StageMan' (any help appreciated).

Whilst on this contract I also intend to gain a scuba certificate (Carnival pay for employees shore excursions...a very nice perk) and learn the HogII aswell as continuing my studies of Spanish (Carnival also pay for this...and your surrounded by Spanish speaking guests!!)

So come along June, I cant wait to go back.

Cruiser.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just been invited to an interview with carnival (I'm an LX)

has anyone got any advice!? my meagre experience of job interviews so far isn't helping calm my nerves much! (also if theres any past topics for job interviews? can't find any with googlator!)

erm, monday the 10th in london, basically I got a phone call saying "can you come and see me on the 10th at 10 o clock?"

:( - Zonino & GridGirl, if you want to compare notes on interview dates please do so by e-mail or PM. Personal chat is not permitted in the forums, as per the T&Cs. Thanks.

Most lines tend to do big 'selection day' events rather than specific interviews.

You'll spend a while in one room with 20-30 other people, most of whom will have applied to different positions (eg youth staff, 'redcoats' etc), while a company rep gives a presentation or shows a video about working and living on their cruise ships.

They usually then take you one at a time to go and do a normal face-to-face interview, and quite a few then arrange a telephone interview with a head office production manager.

A few things to be aware of:

If you take recreational drugs, FORGET IT.

There is no cruise line (or shipping line) that will tolerate this - they all have a random drugs test policy.

If you are found out, you will get fired on the spot - I'm not joking about this, as I know at least four individuals who were caught and fired.

In order to work for Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Disney and the other US-based lines you'll also need to get a C1/D visa, which will take two to three months to arrange. If you have any criminal convictions, forget it!

If the itinerary includes South American ports, you'll also need a Seaman's Book - the line should arrange this for you for free, so it's not a huge problem.

You also used to be able to get discounts on a few things with a Seaman's Book, and larger baggage allowance on most airlines. I'm not sure how many of these perks remain though.

All cruise lines require you to get a medical from one of their approved doctors - some will pay for it, some will not. Make sure you find this out at interview, and budget accordingly. Medicals are usually considered valid for 2 years, then you'll need to get another one.

There will be a drugs test done as part of the medical, along with blood tests for Hep B and C and a few other serious ailments.

All your work on a cruise line is governed by the International Maritime laws, and the maritime laws of the country where the ship is registered.

Most lines fly a flag of convenience - Bahamas (Nassau) is very popular.

Be aware that you are likely to have very few employment rights while on board a flag-of-convenience vessel.

Carnival is a Panamanian registered company (although corporate headquarters are in Port of Miami, FL), and most of their ships are also registered in Panama.

To kind of follow on from Tomos post,

Acohol is another risk. (speaking for RCI's policy, the only one I am familiar with)

As a member of crew you are part of the emergency plan. There is an alcohol limit which you 'should never exeed' as well as one for when you are actually on duty.

This means in effect that excessive drunken-ness (including coming back to the ship barely able to walk) can and if 'offically' noticed will get you fired (especially if you keep calling the bridge to try and make up with your girlfriend <_< )

Beyond that, so long as you dont go around smelling of booze or start trouble, they dont care.

Crew bars tend to be very cheap, if you do get smashed out of your head try and make it back to your cabin!

(or just try and ensure you party with the safety officer, worked for my department!)

If anyone has any questions regarding Carnival or cruising life in general, mail me at antisere@yahoo.com .

I'm off to the Miracle as Automation Op in June but will be at the interviews on Monday 10th to meet a mate.

Hey all,

I view these forums quiet often, and post some, normally on works username.

Due to some stuff happening here at work. Myself, the Tech manager and another tech are looking at the possibility of leaving.

I always wanted to Cruise, but this job came along just as I was leaving uni, and it was in my home town. Been here for nearly 2 years.

What is the best way to apply for a job on a cruise? Is it just to send the CV to the company? or wait for a job opening?

Is working in a theatre on board similar to a theatre on land? Generally how many Stage crew/Techs etc are there on board?

Cheers.

Most companies have hiring partners that advertise in The Stage every so often (Ignore the ones that you have to pay for!). Although I'm sure some will accept direct applications (look on there websites).

Wendy Heron is RCCL's in this country for example.

It vary's on the size of the ship to how many backstage staff you have. Here on Jewel we have 3 sound and light techs (Sound tech, light tech, and lounge tech), 2 video techs, 4 technical stage staff, 1 rigger, 1 staqe & production manager.

Smaller ships have less stage staff (they get paid less too), and normally no rigger. The largest ships in RCCL fleet have a couple more stage staff, and an extra light tech, sound tech, and stage & production manager for the ice rink shows.

• 5 weeks later...

Resurrection of topic time!

I've just had a phonecall offering me work with carnival! so after I have my interview at the embassy (5 weeks waiting time!?!?!) I will hopefully be off to cruise-land for 6 months!

so, heres my question,

what did you take over with you? and what would you recommend taking/not taking over with you? I'll be taking my laptop but what else!

Been thinking about this a lot recently.

Important thing to take: A letter from your bank, with you clearly identified as the account holder, and detailing not just your branch address and accound number etc, but the International account number! Makes it much easyier to setup money transfers, I know RCI do a thing with Citi-Bank to let you wire money home.

Other than that you just take what you think will keep you sane :nerd: I took my desktop! Anything you forget you can probably buy...cheaper too

Anybody got any info on working for Disney?

I'm fortunately with hsbc, and apparenlty they will open me up an account with hsbc in America, which should make this much simpler! (and also let me exchange it when the exchange rate is more favourable!) I'm going in later so I'll let you know how easy this is (I think you need to have been with hsbc for at least a year to do it)

keep me sane.... that implies a level of saneness to start with!

Good luck with HSBC. I went in and tried to find out about opening an account in Canada, they ended up having to ring head office (when they finaly understood what I wanted), and finaly admitted defeat! The HSBC's in different countrys don't seem to talk to each other....

The HSBC's in different countrys don't seem to talk to each other....
No, they don't talk to each other at all. So much for "The World's Local Bank".

I tried to pay money into my HSBC from Mexico, Grand Cayman and Bermuda - they only way they would do it was an international money order, which costs a fair amount and is no different from any bank.

I have leaflet for opening a bank account in a different country, the first time I went in they were really helpful, said yes it should be possible etc etc, then when I went in yesterday I got someone who didnt seem to have the first clue about banking....

gonna phone the international banking centre on monday!

update:

right, HSBC are gonna open me an account in America, either a checking or savings account (probably checking)

I can then transfer from this account to my UK account for free they tell me,

the number for hsbc international banking centre is 020 7991 7414

Archived