Timecode from video source

numberwrong

Hi,

I light a lot of award shows that always have opening video stings. The Client usually wants a light show to go with the video opener. I usually just learn the sting and busk it.

I want to start using a timcoded cue list to do this. All the timecoded stuff I've done or seen has been from either an audio track with a 3rd dedicated timecode channel or from a master timecode generator that all departments run from.

My question is, how would you get Smpte timecode from a video source? Does the video have to be created with a 3rd audio channel or is there another way. Timecode has come from video right? Is there a way of getting timecode from a video with no audio channel dedicated to this?

Another important factor is that I want to be able to run the video (and Timecode) from my own laptop to build the cue stack so I can play/rewind and mess about with it myself without having to get the video tech to do all that for me. Once the lighting cue stack has been built we can test and run the show from the video playback computer

My question is, how would you get Smpte timecode from a video source? Does the video have to be created with a 3rd audio channel or is there another way. Timecode has come from video right? Is there a way of getting timecode from a video with no audio channel dedicated to this?

Depends entirely on the video source. There is a system called VITC which records the timecode in the vertical blanking of the video image as a video signal. You can then use a VITC to LTC translator to get 'audio' timecode. But this requires that your video source will deal with VITC. Or you might be lucky that the source will generate it's own LTC with a fixed relationship to the video.

Another important factor is that I want to be able to run the video (and Timecode) from my own laptop to build the cue stack so I can play/rewind and mess about with it myself without having to get the video tech to do all that for me. Once the lighting cue stack has been built we can test and run the show from the video playback computer

For that you are going to need to add the timecode to the audio track.

Given the variety of video sources you are likely to come across I would stick with using 'audio' timecode (LTC). So it now comes down to how to get LTC onto your video file on your laptop. And then there is the complication of different frame rates and start times.

TBH, I would request a copy of the video file from whoever is originating it and ask for them to add the timecode to it. You don't need a stereo track to design to so ask for a mono mix of the audio on the left channel and timecode on the right. Like that you don;t need anything special on the laptop.

Thanks for the replies, I thinks I'm going to let go of having the video on my laptop thing.

I don't think qlab will work as these videos are usually run through Barco E2 or Annalog way Ascender. I need to check what playback software they use, I think it might be Playback Pro