UHF radio mics…

SceneMaster

Hi,

I have never purchased radio mics but have used them on numerous occasions.

Basically I have been asked to replace a church shure radio mic system, because it is old, noisy, one receiver has died ect.

The require number of radio mics is two lapel types. I would preferably like UHF as it is just simply better even if more expensive and if possible the system should be able to be set to licence free channels. It is a remote area and it is very unlikely that anywhere within range will be using UHF however if there is problems we will buy licences.

I would ideally want the Sennheiser Evolution series but these are far to expensive so I am looking a decent set of Trantec.

A system I have singled out so far is the S4.5 which can be found on Studiospares.

Studiospares Trantec S4.5 radio mic

It seems like a good system for the price and we would be able to use them on channel 70 which is free from licence although I presume it will allow for two transmitters on channel 70 with slightly different frequencies or have I got this wrong?

Thanks for any input and if anyone can recommend a lapel radio mic system for around £230 ex vat per system that would be great.

:santa:

Sennheiser have recently brought out a new entry-level system - the Freeport. These are UHF systems designed to run in the dereg frequency band. They provide 4 switchable frequencies within this band. List price is £230 inc vat.

Haven't had any in yet to try out as most people still go for the G2 range but should still be a good mic.

S.

Two things to note about the Trantec:

1) The standard lapel mic is a little lacking.... the TS55 lapel is much better, but this pumps up the price.

2) Trantec transmitters have only an on-off switch, and no mic mute. If the church's sound guy takes care of muting the desk channel when the vicar sings etc., this isn't a problem - the transmitter can be left on. If the clergy switch the TX on and off themselves then the RX goes looking for an adjacent frequency to work on. This can give rise to some rather unexpected noises :-)

The Shure TXs have two switches that remove this problem

Two other more general points

1) UHF is not inherently "better"

2) Even if the church is using Shure T series radios, there's a strong possibility that you might replace the existing system with something that isn't as good. The Trantec TS252 mic (for example) is poor compared with even the Shure WL93 capsule.

It may just be worth pressing the point with them.... a cheap system may sound poor and perform cheaply for as long as you can put up with it. A good system's quality and reliability will be enjoyed every Sunday, and only the treasurer will ever remember how much it cost ;-)

Simon

I'd reccomend the JTS range. For the price they sound fantastic and they use AA's which last FOREVER!

Rich

Hmmmm everlasting power?

Perhaps the AA cell is the answer to the world's energy needs? ;-)

The Sennheiser G2s run off these wonderful batteries too...

We tried a JTS system on a recent gig, then gave the singer an SM58 as the JTS handheld distorted and there was no means of reducing sensitivity.

Just my one experience....

If you remove the protective cover to the controls on the handset, then it is possible to apply upto -30dB of attenuation to the sensitivity. If the JTS mics are used properly the sound is fine.

As for the AA's I've had two cheap poundshop batteries in mine, and not changed them yet. It's been out about 15 times. Sennheisers may use them, but this is definately an advantage of the the trantecs which use the PP9's.

but this is definately an advantage of the the trantecs which use the PP9's.

Do you mean PP3s?

PP3

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_2/PB6F22E.JPG

PP9

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_2/PB6F100E.JPG

[/pedantry]

I have quite a few Trantec 3500, 4500, 4.5's

Been using Trantec for year, alongside Sennheisers.

Four 4.5's will happily sit in the de-reg band and the kit already has them programmed in. I have never had a snag with no mute - the user turning a mute on and off is just as problematic as the main switch. I'm a bit confused about the receivers going off looking for another frequency? They certainly don't and the receiver squelch opens quite silently.

The only poor part with the Trantecs is with heavy use, the really tough lemo mic socket nut works loose - making it wobble. Sometimes if they really get sweaty some of the display segments vanish - annoying, but seems common with mine.

I'd agree with the 259 mic being very basic - it also comes in rather random versions - The orignals had thin cable, and a slightly smaller head and I quite liked them - more recently replacement 259s seem to come with a much stiffer and thicker cable and don't sound quite so hot. Their better mic is worth having, but as has been said - it is dearer. Canfords own brand tiny ones are a good alternative and come in beige too.

The receivers have been totally solid.

UHF is better, I get better results with both Senn and Canford kit. VHF needs either long dangly 1/4 wave aerials that get scrunched up and perform badly, or stiff helicals that are still not quite so efficient as a 1/4 wave, but don't get scrunched - they do, however break when bent. UHF kit can have distribution amps that are easy to source - therte are no longer very many choices at VHF. PMR radio sits right next door and despite rumours - I've never had breakthrough. The big snag with VHF is too few channels and loads of really c*ap kit about. I had a rack of VHF that I couldn't use this summer as some idiot in a seafront bar thought it great to 'tweak' their radio mic to give enough power to reach from the sea front to their bar. Trouble was the tweaking produced loads of spurious stuff that regularly broke through.

VHF has had its day - long live UHF.

I have never had a snag with no mute - the user turning a mute on and off is just as problematic as the main switch. I'm a bit confused about the receivers going off looking for another frequency?

Perhaps this is a problem with older kit, but I've had bad experiences with the cheaper Trantecs doing just this. Also, similar problems when mixing systems from different manufacturers or across one manufacturer's own range of products. Alos, if someone is using the same frequency nearby, keeping the TX on reduces the risk of picking up their transmission. Given that many systems now employ a pilot tone, I'm happier to keep the TX switched on. I agree with your point about the mute switch, but that's a user error, not a radio system problem;-)

There are some practical advantages to UHF as you point out, but the VHF channels in the 175 to ~215MHz band work just fine. The dereg band is too cluttered, but the dereg UHF is going that way now too... My comment was trying to dispel the myth that UHF is inherently better as a chuck of spectrum etc. than VHF just like CD is better than cassette...

Perhaps the increased engineering needed for UHF radios has led to an overall better quality product?

Simon

2nd thumbs up for JTS, wouldnt go for the budget one (Us8001 series) but 901,1000 series is pretty damn good have had 4 running of the 901 series with disto and it works fine. Well built handsets, recievers and beltpacks

I think its proel who distribute 0208 761 9911, go to JTS website

Dan

Browsing through the latest Thomann flyer (this is the second posting I've made today that starts like that!), I noticed some cheapie UHF radio mics. There's a headset version for 89 pounds, and a lav one for 77. Also handheld at 75..

Seems to be switchable to 16 different frequencies with a range, and there appear to be different models using different ranges (800, 854, 863 MHz) - some of these are only licensed for use in Germany, others OK throughout Europe.. It also says only 4 can be used simultaneously...

Beltpack appears to be rechargable from the base unit.

So... incredibly cheap, so they're probably not going to be brilliant quality. But I'd love to be proven wrong!!

Does anyone have any thoughts on these? Has anyone tried them?

Bruce.

http://www.thomann.de/prodbilder/183394.jpg

Archived