Controller Suggestions

Rich newby

hey guys

I don't know much about moving heads, of DMX to be honest, but I am thinking of buying 4 acme fantasy spots and 12 par 56 cans. they will be used for disco and theatre. I don't want to spend very much on a controller, and I don't want to program them, although I would like to be able to put the pars on a chase or flash mode. I was wondering what really cheep controllers are out there and will I need anything else to add to the package. I don't want to spend over £500 on a controller, basically I want to spend £1500 in total. the pars are about £250 and the moving heads are £900. which leaves £350 for the controller and if I need other stuff I will spend £250 on that.

thanks

rich

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. You will prob need to allow for dimming or switching, for which I would reccomend a product similar to this : ETC SmartBar.

There are cheaper versions out there around £120 each ( I dont know how much the ETC ones are), which will do the job just as well as this, and were around before these came about. You can set them to stand alone chase in patterns, etc no controller to start with, and then work it in when you have more money.

They are DMX, individual addressing, you can pair the channels, al kinds of useful things, have a look, and then search for the cheaper ones, I may come back at a later date if I can find you a link.

Hmm... I know that many people will say that it's too unreliable and would not recommend for a show so let's not waste time with anyone saying this is a bad idea... But if you have a laptop or something, you could control it through that... I mean, get a cheap usb-DMX thing at PLASA if you're going and then get DMX controllable dimmers. If you have a budget of £350 and if you already have the dimmers, then you can splash out on a bit of control software to make it more reliable, rather than something like Freestyler.

Ok, come on guys... Start saying it's a bad idea...

hi again

I have pretty much scrapped the idea of the par's. so if I were to run the 4 moving heads of the computer, would I need DMX dimmers still or just an interface for the moving heads. would I also be able to program shows with the laptop and what sort of cheep software would I need, because if it dose the job, why pay more.(yer I do have a loptop by the way!)

rich

so if I were to run the 4 moving heads of the computer, would I need DMX dimmers still or just an interface for the moving heads. would I also be able to program shows with the laptop

You don't need dimmers for just the moving-heads; just a way to get hard power to them (e.g. as simple as a 13A 4-way plugboard for what you're planning).

You still need a controller, which will be DMX if that is what the movers use.

I'll leave someone else to answer the laptop question, as I really don't like the idea <_<

(I seem to be answering all your posts tonight, oh well!)

would I also be able to program shows with the laptop and what sort of cheep software would I need.

I have never really explored moving heads and computer control but I think that you can do shows. What you need to do is grab yourself a copy of FreeStyler from http://users.pandora.be/freestylerdmx/, one of these and that's really as much advice that I can give you... Erm... There is a way to then control all intelligents via the DMX output and I'm sure there is an easy way to do it... I've just never had to so I don't know how! I'm sure almost every other lampy on the Blue Room does though so...

And wow, only one post complaining it was a bad idea!

Archived