Controller Suggestions

Rich newby

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to bring this one back up again, but the full rig is very much alive now. I have 18 par 64's and am looking at getting 4 robe xt's. I kinda scrapped the Idea of pars earlier on it this tread for some unknown reason, the experiment of usb-DMX I think! Anyway I am looking at a desk with 24 subs for controlling 24 channels, nothing fancy. I would also like to have a joystick or ball for controlling the moving heads, so that would need to be Incorporated. I may at some points be controlling 8 moving heads from the desk aswell. The desk that I would really like is the jester, but it does not have a joystick/ball, is there an external one available? Otherwise I am open to opinions, budget around £900 or less.

Oh and on the desk I don't want program features, but if it had them that would be nice. The main thing I want is programmed flash sequences

Cheers

Rich

For 900 pounds, rough conversion to au would be about $2500, you are not going to get a 'big' desk.

Whilst a Jester is affordable, it is NOT in any way shape or form a moving light desk. You can control movers with it, but usually only one or two. Ie a fixture may use 8 channels. 2x8=16 chans. The Jester is a 24 channel desk, so it can control 3 movers with no channels of dimming, and it would not be easy to use either (ie controling colours with faders would not be pleasent).

A moving light desk, if the diablo is too small, you are looking at something like a Fat Frog or a maXim MP which are about twice your budget. As far as I know, the diablo is the upper range of the small, 'disco' style mover desks, the next up would be a full theatrical console + moving light support - the Fat Frog and MP as I mentioned. Neither of these has a joystick, but the patpad (MP) has quite a good interface for busking movement when you get used to it.

If you are on a tight budget, use two desks, a small mover desk (cheap one that can control 4-6 movers is upwards of AU$400) and a generic desk.

Personally, I would not insist upon joystick control - you dont usually need it. Something with either scroll wheels or sliders is good.

Rich, if you still want to go along with the Robes, it's pretty vital to have a desk that makes access to the cleverer features easy. Would you consider somthing secondhand, but better. For busking, I like as many faders and buttons under my fingertips as I can get. Both the desks I use regularly have 24. My way of working finds this about right - if I can avoid going to the next page I do. I've been quite happy with a tracker ball, hated a mouse, and quite hapy with 3 knobs - I really don't mind.

If you have almost a grand, maybe a proper, well looked after real desk might be good. Oh, I forgot, I once bought a couple of Avo Azures for different projects. Horrible membrane thing, but beer proof for the club it went into. programmed a load of things into every button and pin numbered it. Nobody ever asked me for the code again! The other I tried to use myself - just couldn't get used to it.

Plenty of nice 3-4 year old desks about that are excellent for the movers you are going to get. Buying new puts you in the black hole area between 1 and 3 grand. Just not much there!

Were abouts would you suggest looking for a second hand desk? Used-lighting was the first thought for me but there never seems to be any of that size, and only a hand full have the ability of controlling movers.

I do like the fat frog, but it is a bit too big. a/b presets would be nice, but I think 48 faders might be a bit much. I'm probably looking for a 12/24 desk instead of a 24/48 desk.

Cheers

Rich

Hi again, I have searched the web far and wide and have not been able to find a frog for sale second hand anywhere in the UK. I am not looking to buy yet but I was just wondering wether frogs came around alot second hand?

Oh and still open to different suggestions

Rich

if you can manage to stretch to a second hand azure they are a decent desk the size rig it sounds like you have, I agree the membrane can be irritating! the shadow version is much nicer,

avolites don't buy second hand azures back from customers usually as they don't have hte resale value of say a pearl, but if you email them saying your looking to buy a second hand one they will usually keep your details on file in case anyone says they are looking to sell an azure (usually to upgrade to a pearl!)

Plenty of software controllers around that run on a pc, and quite a few on eBay because people give up on them and buy a real desk, with real faders. You could buy a fader panel or two - behringers are cheapish, if you can get your head around continuous controllers. The fact remains that for most of us, a proper lighting desk is a necessity.

there's a nice sirius on ebay here

I don't know much about them, but have heard resonable things

Hi again, I have searched the web far and wide and have not been able to find a frog for sale second hand anywhere in the UK. I am not looking to buy yet but I was just wondering wether frogs came around alot second hand?

Since you want to control movers I guess you'll want a Fat Frog, but anyways AC Lighting have both a Frog and Fat Frog on their bargain list and I've seen at least one of each on ebay since the new year.

Hi Rich,

We have been using this desk for a while now at our church

http://www.glp.de/en/Controllers/messenger_2.html.

It does, having read your posts, do exactly as you specify, ie control your par cans and movers.

The desk is fairly easy to use, but as you would expect for a budget desk not have all the bells and whistles of other well known desks.

However it does exactly what it says on the tin.

We have just upgraded our desk at church so this will soon be available

pm me if your interested

Andy ;)

Archived