Replacement for Bose 402s

Andrew C

OK. I am considering replacing a pair of 402s used primarily for lecture reinforcement 150 - 200 punters. The criteria are portability, stand mount and clear speech reproduction. Then as a secondary, light musical use, background at a grown-up's dinner. Cost is a consideration, but I should be able to afford things of this sort.

Any one used SX80s?

Any other sensible suggestions from users, not know-all kids? :** laughs out loud **:

And please, no Flashlights, Nexo, Wavefront etc! Nor do I need to hear "Bose are sh*te. They work well for this application, they are just getting tired, and you can now get a better sound.

Edit

Just to define "portable";- Two of us can carry radio mic kit, pre/power amp, stands, speakers and cable from cupboard to any of our venues in one go.

Any other sensible suggestions from users, not know-all kids?  :** laughs out loud **:

I've had good experiences with Celestion SR-1s. It's a 2x8" cab, and sounds surprisingly "big" for its size and price. Sometimes I add an extra twin-coil sub - currently I use a HZ sb300, but I've also used a Celestion substation. But I often don't bother if it's only for vocals or pre-recorded music...

Handles built into the lids, and 2 can be easily carried.

You need the proper controller.

One annoying feature (at least on the MK1 - the MKII may be different) is that the pole-mount hole on the bottom is narrower than the usual standard, so you need a couple of external adaptor plates (as with Bose 802 etc)

So my usual "small gig" PA load is:

2x SR1

Speakon cables (stashed inside speaker lids)

4U flight case, containing a 2U power amp, Celestion controller and a 1U 6ch mixer. All power and mic cables stashed in back

2x lightweight stands and mic stand (all in 1 bag with shoulder strap)

A couple of mics

So all carryable in 2 loads, assuming you have pockets for the mics :o.

Bruce.

Not used the 80s, but the 300s, which I'm guessing will be of the same ilk, are nice kit. Used them at a gig a while back. Loud, whilst being clear, which is better to most of the local gigs I go to :** laughs out loud **:. I would be interested to know what experiece you have with the 80s if you get them.

HTH

Andrew,

I've been impressed with the HK Audio powered stuff. My musician mate (with a rather fastidious ear for quality) has bought two systems, and HK offer a range of sizes from tiny satellite tops with a smallish powered bass bin, to larger powered boxes that are (eventually) too large for your application.

My take was that they offer excellent clarity for such a small unit, certainly better than the 402s, and that the pricing seemed reasonable.

Failing that, for cheap but quite good quality try powered Wharfedale Pro boxes.

Simon

Hi Andrew,

With regards to portability, the company I work for was thinking about purchasing a pair, but we were put off because it seems the speaker does not have a built-in handle. Therefore carrying would not be as practical.

We therefore use DAS 108's - they have a handle on the top of the plastic moulded cabinet. As for sound, we only use them to blast pink noise at 100 - 110dB at 40 seconds at a time, so I couldn't comment on reinforced speech.

hope this helps.

Si

We've got 8 SX80's in hire stock carried as pairs in a stack and store boxes. Great little boxes, which would be more than adequate for your intended uses.

I do believe that they only come with spring clip terminals, so we 'retro fitted' a single NL4 connector to the back panel. Also you'll need to mount a stand adaptor on the base as they aren't drilled out for poles- The stand adaptors do make them easier to carry.

I've also heard well of the HK systems. They have some small boxes that our General Manager who knows his thing was really imressed with. A very big clear sound from such a small system were his words.

Andrew,

I supplied a client with a pair of Adam Hall "Link Dynamics" 12+1" moulded cabinets recently, and gave them a good listen beforehand. I suggest they would be good for your application, and they do a 10, 12 and 15" version, in powered and passive.

I had the passive ones and they were clear and neutrally voiced. Not bags of bass extension but that wasn't the requirement. The cabinets were that really dense polythene, just like EVs, but At £120 (retail) plus VAT each they're certainly economical. My customer was delighted.

A discerning recommendation from the "budget" end...

Trust this is useful,

Pete.

Hi,

The Bose 402 was a great speaker of it's time, portable and did the job. Today maybe you should look at DAS ( DS-8's sound suprisingly great for the cost (very light and has a handle ) and the ST8A powered version is super for the money and has a mic pre amp in it! ), or you could look to a new (British) company - EM Acoustics ( www.emacoustics.co.uk ) - who do a lovely 8" box that sounds super for the money ( could do with a handle on it though - I'm sure they will add one if enough people ask! ).

Lots of stuff out there that will do a great job.........

we have quite a few of the smaller HK series on campus, they are easy to carry (I can carry a premium bass bin easily on my own) and sound good, also have "pole holes" although we dont use them, and the pricing's quite good on them as well,

for a pure vocal rig we sometimes use a pair of HK D.A.R.T.s for the comedy club - about 200 capacity

Have a look at either JBL eon's or the JBL Control Series

The eon's are very light and come in standard or powered versions

We already have a set of powered Eon 15s with subs. The sound of these, at low level, is what has sparked the search for replacements for the Bose. The 10" may be viable, but the 15" are too big really.

Thanks for all the thoughts so far...

Even though we have a number of EON 15s at Uni, I have to say that

a) their frequency response tends towards a disco "smile"

b) case ergonomics is poor - you pick it up by the single handle, wrap your hand around to grab the other side and wrench the volume pots off.....

c) it has to be cased or jammed in the pack because of its shape - it rolls around the van otherwise.

d) the back is pretty well butt ugly ;-)

Apart from that... they're fine!

Simon

Archived