Strain relief - Strand 123

NTABID

A couple of pat 123s have failed their PAT testing through lack of strain relief on the cable. Has anyone got an easy fix for this, please?

"lack of strain relief"? Not sure how this is a PAT fail - the visual inspection of the test should ensure that the cable is secure on the fitting and not damaged but a strain relief or lack thereof (in my opinion having tested 100's of Pat 123's) isn't part of the test.

http://www.serviceguy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/strain-relief.jpg

[This is what a strain relief is to me]

It would only become a concern if next year, the cable was damaged at the entry point to the lantern but mostly that can be alleviated by using some PVC tape around the cable so that the metal cable clamp doesn't bite in to the cable.

If the cable clamp is missing then it can be tricky to fit a replacement clamp on Patt 123's but I have done it and seen it done by fitting a nylon gland on the side of the bulge at the base of the lamp assembly - it's fiddly and takes some work but is do-able.

Nylon stuffing gland on a 123? Two issues as far as I see this: 1) nylon stuffing glands are not classed as strain relief on their own and 2) Nylon stuffing glands are not rated at the temperature of such a lamp fitting.

Nylon stuffing gland on a 123? Two issues as far as I see this: 1) nylon stuffing glands are not classed as strain relief on their own and 2) Nylon stuffing glands are not rated at the temperature of such a lamp fitting.

Ok then - Nylon, polyamide or metal - I was using it as a generic term but the point is - no strain relief on a Patt 123 isn't a PAT test fail in my opinion :)

It's something I've often wondered about - if you look at the back of a minim, there is a version (with the non integral moulded handle, where there is a "bakelite" handle screwed to the case) and where the cable enters via a standard cable relief grommet like one of these:

http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/70125-3997593.jpg

So I wonder how come that's ok on a minim (that's how they were supplied) but a similar one on a Pat123 wouldn't be acceptable.

Strain relief isn't a PAT fail is it? The original design doesn't involve any modern kind of additional layering, just a clamp onto the cable sheath? The clamping saddle on a 13A plug doesn't provide cable sheathing - surely a fail to the 123, would be the same as a 13A connector? Clearly if the internal conductors can be seen that's wrong, but that's not what we're talking about here, is it?

Strain relief isn't a PAT fail is it? The original design doesn't involve any modern kind of additional layering, just a clamp onto the cable sheath? The clamping saddle on a 13A plug doesn't provide cable sheathing - surely a fail to the 123, would be the same as a 13A connector? Clearly if the internal conductors can be seen that's wrong, but that's not what we're talking about here, is it?

It's not really clear, I assumed the OP must mean the 'saddle clamp' is missing - perhaps he could enlighten us?

It's not really clear, I assumed the OP must mean the 'saddle clamp' is missing - perhaps he could enlighten us?

Very sorry if I have confused you. Yes, the saddle clamp is missing. PAT tester has said that because of this it's a fail.

Do I gather from your kind replies that the only acceptable solution would be a suitable high temperature gland? Does that therefore mean metal?

Surely we are talking about a bit of aluminium, and the application of a file and a drill! As you will need the file and drill to wreck and install a proper gland, why not just repair the old one properly? Once you fit the new saddle, your old light is fixed?

Archived